• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepzter29

NAXJA Forum User
Just a couple days ago i went into Les Schwabs to get my alingment checked out on my Jeep..... and i was waiting there for about twenty minutes and a guy who worked there came in and handed back my keys and said they will not work on my jeep because it's missing track bar bushings!!!! Is it really that big a of deal for them not to fix my alingment and rotate my tires, because of some bushings????

um, I would think yes, due to your axle being able to shift from side to side. they do alignment, you pay them, then you get upset because its not aligned 50 feet after you get it and make one turn. several shops in my area have done and said the same thing. I was grateful they didnt take my money and say "its all done, have a nice day!"

if you where actually MISSING your trackbar bushing, you would have some of the most horrible driving/steering caracteristics imagenable, and probably couldn't even drive it in the city comfortable.

Jeepzter29 said:
Just a couple days ago i went into Les Schwabs to get my alingment checked out on my Jeep..... and i was waiting there for about twenty minutes and a guy who worked there came in and handed back my keys and said they will not work on my jeep because it's missing track bar bushings!!!! Is it really that big a of deal for them not to fix my alingment and rotate my tires, because of some bushings????

I'd be more concerned that you took your Jeep to Schwab.

wow i didnt really know they were that important...thanks.. i got another question.So is it hard on my jeep if im driving on them with them warn out pretty bad or is it just bad because its wont keep my jeep straight, because i can handle it not driving straight for a couple days. i ordered some new ones but wont get here in 2 days....

I had a trackbar setup go bad on me earlier this year, it destroyed a full brand new set of steering and a pair of balljoints in about 500 miles of driving. Not something to mess around with.

if you where actually MISSING your trackbar bushing, you would have some of the most horrible driving/steering caracteristics imagenable

What he said x2

i've been working at a tire store for about a little bit now and yes, it is that big of a deal. that's like having a messed up TRE and wanting us to do an alignment on it. the work we'd do would be pointless because as soon as you turned the steering wheel your alignment would be off. a guy was mad today because he had a destroyed pitman arm and idler arm on his chevy and we wouldn't do an alignment on it. he refused any work on it, so the new tires we threw on the front are going to be garbage in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it to a shop, and get them to do a very thourough front end inspection, make sure the tie rod ends, and ball joints are good.. as well as the bushing in all of your control arms. Replace the bushing in your track bar aswell-- then when they do an allignment everything will be peachy-keen.

I had my lower trackbar bolt break one time and had to limp it home 2 miles with the TB hanging, not fun at all :shiver:

FoMoCo said:
I had my lower trackbar bolt break one time and had to limp it home 2 miles with the TB hanging, not fun at all :shiver:

I had the same thing happen. It was interesting. Took me until I got it home to realize what happened and why it felt like the front end was floating all over the place.

I also had a shop tell me that they could not do an alignment because of the angle of my rear drive shaft and I had a solid rear axle (never mind there is nothing to adjust). But the front end was with in spec. I went to another shop to find out the bushing on my control arm was shot and the front end was not with in spec, but they were not going to do any work until I got a new bushing.

Get the bushing, it will make things easier.

He's been waiting for you three to chime in for exactly a year now... I think he'll take care of it :D
Billy
lockd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back