• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paid dealership for AC diagnostic and quote, problems ensue...

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
In fearing the prospect of needing to replace the evaporator core in my 2001 XJ, I decided to pay a dealership service department for a formal diagnostic session... Well, I got the confirmation I needed (it is indeed the evap core), but they seem to have botched something in the process.

Previously, my system would hold a charge for about 7 to 10 days before needing to be refilled. Now, it won't even hold a charge for 24 hours. Any clues as to what they might have f*cked up during the diagnostic process? Supposedly they just charged and dyed it, but I'm having my doubts. This was Leith in Raleigh, NC.

I'd suspect that the Schrader valves used to check pressure and recharge the R134a are not sealing.

Hey there...not sure what happened but obviously your leak has been made worse. Just curious, are you gonna let the dealership change the evap core? I just did mine over in my 97' and it wasnt bad at all. All the write ups on here on evap replacement helped alot. Also definitely invest in a Factory Service Manual for your year truck, it was invaluable. If you can have the truck layed up for a while definitely consider doing it yourself. I'd be happy to share my experience with you and offer any tips I have and I have many.....

Craig

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm strongly considering doing it myself, as I have no qualms whatsoever with disassembling the interior of a car (and you're right - the guides I've read thus far are quite comprehensive). At this point, all I need to know is that I have all the tools I'll need before proceeding. Aside from an AC hose/line tool, are there any special tools that I'll need or that would make the job easier?

ChiXJeff - Now that the system is totally empty (go Leith!), I'll be changing all Schrader valves as a cheap starting point (I did recently replace the low-pressure/recharge port valve as it was leaking audibly, but that was before this service).

Torx sockets. Other than that I can't remember anything else special. Maybe a stubby phillips head screw driver. Have your AC drained before removing the evap. You may want new heater hoses as it could be difficult getting the old ones off the heater core. And you might want to consider replacing the heater core as well.

An AC shop can put a coolant sniffer in the interior vents to detect a evap leak.

You'll need some torx sockets as was mentioned, also the a/c line disconnect tools, a metric socket set ( I had both a 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive) and I absolutely recommend you go and buy an 11mm swivel head Gearwrench. This was absolutely invaluable when loosening the last of the 5 heater/ac housing to firewall bolts. Last one is down behind the engine and I had no luck getting to it with anything so I bought one and it took care of it easily. Buy a new receiver/dryer unit too. It needs to be replaced anytime you change an a/c system component. Def buy new heater core hoses, mine were "welded" to the heater core pipes. If you can get yours off then kudos to you. I would replace the heater core as well, I mean you went this far..why not? As far as the procedure itself...def remove the front seats...makes it so much easier. Remove the steering column as a unit. Do NOT take the steering wheel off the column. Leave the airbag, steering wheel all in place and remove the whole thing. It wasnt a big deal at all...

Thanks a ton for the tips - the task is seeming a little less daunting each time I read more about it.

As a temporary fix, I went over to CarQuest during my lunch break to pick up all new service valves (evap service port, high pressure, and low pressure/recharge). Oddly enough, the high pressure valve came out with <10 lbs of torque, leading me to believe it may have been mucked with... I tossed in a 12 oz can of DuPont R134a and the compressor runs full time (that is, no cycling on/off while the AC was on high) and it's blowing cold air again, but we'll see what the story is tomorrow morning.

If this holds, then I know that Leith's service department is nothing but a bunch of crooks. A few coworkers have had bad experiences with them as well - every repair they've had quoted has been the most expensive and labor-intensive possibility, only to find that they were liars upon getting second opinions.

Thanks again guys, the help is always appreciated!

Last edited:
Back