• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What fluids do you use? (oil, t-case, rear ends, etc...)

dwchkypmp20

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to do a full service on my 97' and was wondering what you guys give your beasts to drink?

copy and paste:

Motor oil:
Tranny fluid:
T-case fluid:
Rear ends:
Coolant:
Brake fluid:

be sure to throw what weights you use in to.

I usually take mine to the dealer for everything but an oil change.

Motor oil: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30
Oil Filter: Mopar
Tranny fluid: Mopar
T-case fluid: Mopar
Rear ends: Mopar
Coolant: Mopar
Brake fluid: Mopar

Motor oil: anything... anything at all... rear main seal leaks it so fast I don't care anymore, I run anything from no-name to valvoline maxlife and from 5w30 to 15w40, as long as it comes to the full line on the dipstick and is motor oil I use it
Tranny fluid: valvoline maxlife dex/merc
T-case fluid: no-name (usually coastal) dex/merc
Rear ends: coastal gear lube, 75w90 I think, whatever's got the green label on the black bottle at autozone
Coolant: whatever regular coolant the store I'm at has a special on in premix
Brake fluid: Prestone synthetic (what a gimmick, ALL brake fluid is synthetic) dot 3 brake fluid

PS, you're missing the power steering fluid - if you are going to do a full change you should flush that as well. I use Prestone on that as well.

Motor oil: ............. 20w50 ............ and 15w40 for winter
Tranny fluid:.......... Valv DexIII
T-case fluid:.......... Valv DexIII
Rear ends:............. Diffs ??? ..... 85w140 Front & Rear
Coolant:................ Any name brand 30/70 percentage or less premix
Brake fluid:............ Dot 3

Power Steering ..... Mopar

Dont forget you need a diff oil suited to LSD if you have LSD ... or the additive.

Is Prestone power steering fluid the Mopar equivalent or is Valvoline the Mopar supplier ???

motor oil - 10/40 whatever all year
tranny - syn 10/30 motor oil (AX15)
t-case - mobil 1 ATF
diffs - 80/90 whatever
coolant - Peak premix (cuz Danica Patrick is hot)
Brake - DOT 3
Power steering - Amsoil Tractor (left over from my buggy)

running the above with several XJ's over the years with no issue.

Last edited:
Motor oil: Shell Rotella 15-40
Oil Filter: NAPA gold
Tranny fluid: Redline MT-90/ MTL +1 bottle friction modifier (AX-15)
T-case fluid: Dex III
Rear ends: 80/90 whatever is cheap
Coolant: Dex-cool
Brake fluid: Dot 3
Power Steering: DexIII

171k on her, 98' 4.0 ax-15

Motor oil:10w-30 Super tec synthetic
Tranny fluid: Same as above
T-case fluid:plain jane ATF, whatever the spec asks for
Rear ends:75w-90 Super tec semi-synthetic
Coolant: Regular green stuff either from prestone or peak
Brake fluid: Any brand dot 4 fluid

Now for my take....

Motor oil: dosent matter the brand, do a change between 3 and 4k for regular and before 7500 miles on synthetic. Use the right weight 10w-30 or 5w30 if its cold enough to need that added ease of cold start.

Oil filter I run Purolator pure 1 filter. Things like the mobil one filters are a rip off they are like $13. Pure 1 in tests filters great, is constructed well, and the price is right. Def don't run a cheap QUALITY oil filter.

Tranny fluid: If i ran an automatic i would run a name brand ATF and change it as per FSM. Since i run the ax-15 i run a synthetic 10w-30. I HIGHLY recommend the 10w-30 synthetic. I ran regular 10w-30 in it and the synthetic makes a VERY big difference in shift quality and cold weather use. so much so if i didn't experience it, i wouldn't have believed it.

T-case fluid: I feel that any old ATF that is up to spec is fine for this, its used as a splash lube not like an automatic tranny as a hydraulic fluid.

Rear ends: I firmly believe in synthetic again for these. Reason being, running the regular gear oils in my rear end i would hear a high pitched bearing noise on the highway when on the gas. I think this is the pinion bearing starting to go out. switched to synthetic, (same fluid level too, i checked) and the noise is much much less noticeable to the point where you can't really hear it at all. Again very surprising, this is the only vehicle i've ever had that i actually noticed notable changes between using synthetic and regular oils.

Coolant: Change it bi yearly or so and stick w/ the traditional green kind and you can't go wrong. I feel you need to do a full flush with hose water, back flush blah blah blah... then dump all that, fill w/ pure distilled, run that, dump that, then add the straight coolant needed, and top off with distilled. I am a firm believer of flushing and using only distilled water.

Brake fluid: This is an area where FRESHNESS has a huge impact. As time goes on brake fluid absoarbs water from the atmosphere, lowering its boiling point (point where the brakes will turn to mush and not work well if at all) and increases the corrosion within the system. Wether you use no name brand brake fluid or the best wizbang stuff, you are best off changing it every 2 years. This keeps your brake bleeders working :yelclap: and the boiling point of the brake fluid as high as possible. Plus it only costs you about $10, and takes 45min if that, why not?

:dunno:

Mobil-1 10W30 in all 4 jeeps
Mobil-1 ATF in all the transfer cases
Redline the manual transmissions
Mobil-1 in the diffs on the TJ's and Drydene in the rears of the XJ and the ZJ as they both have LSD's

Motor oil: Shell Rotella 10w30 dino
Tranny fluid: (manual AX15) Mobil-1 10w30; (auto AW4) Dex III/VI
T-case fluid: Dex III/VI
Rear ends: Cheap A** 75w90
Coolant: Cheap what-ever-is-on-sale 50/50 distilled water late Fall-early Spring, 30/70 distilled water early Spring-late Fall.
Brake fluid: DOT 3, flush brakes and clutch every 2 years or 30k miles.

Back