• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hazard 20amp maxi keeps blowing out

bcordes

NAXJA Forum User
It started with the 20 amp maxi fuse blowing out in my 95. I replaced fuse and the left turn signal worked but the right was dim for about 5 seconds then blew the fuse. I figured it was the switch on the column so I replaced that but to the same results. Checked all the bulbs and light asse4mblies they all seem to be ok.. I now noticed that the right head light is out, but the bright works??? I have a pretty poor scematic that doesn't make much sense. Any ideas where to go next?

So, no low beam on the right? First, could simply be the element has burned. Second, pull the connector at the back of the lamp and clean it, then check for power on HI and LOW and the ground. Then clean the prongs on the lamp, then put in a little dielectric grease in the connector.

Post back results.

So, the left turn signal OR hazards blow the 20 amp fuse?

I would start at the light and check for anything shorting, worn harness. Might as well clean the grounds up there while you're at it.

Any use of the turns signals right or left or hazards will blow the fuse with in 5 seconds. When I replace the fuse the left actually blinks bright on the dash indicator, but the right blinks very dim to nothing ubtil the fuse blows. I replaced the column switch, pulled and checked all the bulbs front, rear, left and right.

I have battery voltage on the one side of the fuse all the time as required, with the key off I have ofl on the other side. But with the key on I have battery voltage on the same side as required, but have a little over three volts on the other side. So i got a short to power somewhere. But the schematic im using is out of the chiltons and it does not make up with the vehicle.
Any sugestions?

Start on the low voltage side. Use your voltmeter. Probe along the harness until you get 12 volts, then backup to the bad spot and make repairs--There are short detectors (expensive) that essentially allow you to quickly locate the shorted area.

The MAC ET-251 style of short locator discussed in this article is the cheapest type, and other manufacturers make them: http://www.inliners.org/tech/tech6.html

The more expensive electronic style: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-E...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1278876138&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Back