• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL on after replacing water pump/ts/VC gasket

glockman

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post on this site so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.
My XJ-'96 4.0, auto trans, 186K miles. I just replaced the water pump, thermostat-195, valve cover gasket. Prior to the new parts the CEL was not on. Replaced the parts CEL is on, went to O'Reilly for a free CEL check and the code read "engine to lean, bank 1". Any help would be appreciated to help figure out this issue.
I have checked for the possibility of a vacuum hose leak or improper install, seems to be OK. XJ runs good but won't pass DEQ with a check engine light on.

Thanks again for any and all help.:piratefla

Check and wiggle any connectors which you may have bumped/disturbed during yur repairs.

Yep, lots of vacuum lines that may have been damaged/dislodged doing the VC gasket.

OK, here is more info on my cel issue-took my XJ to local O'reilly's to use their OBD-ll reader. Scan reads "fuel system, bank 1, too lean"?
I presume their scanner is reading correctly, I have checked all wires/vac. lines and the CEL is still on. I hate to take it to the dealer but that may be my only option. Any other suggestions????:confused1

Water pump and thermostat replacement should have nothing to do with your check engine light but as mentioned, the valve cover replacement is a wildcard as you are working around lots of vacuum lines, CCV tubing, connectors, etc.

I know you said you have verified all of this, but I think it is worth yet another look.....

The exact code might help narrow it down more, but isn't that description something you would see due to an oxygen sensor/connection/wiring issue, and not a vacuum leak?

Back