• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Local Vestal /Binghamton Jeeper? I need some help :(

PoopJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ with 3" R.C. lift.

I recently rebuilt the motor & now runs great after droppin a skirt faster than my prom date. now i have other problems but shockingly none motor related...

Stuck in 4wd (need to adjust lever)
Radiator leak (need stop leak "crushed walnuts" 4oz bottle forgot brand")
passanger door stuck (mis aligned forever cant figure it out)
CB radio suddenly dead (died but least of my worries but i like having it)
Horrible toe / alignment (easy fix but not for handicap ish man)
Evap Leak Large (LDP?)
Have to change U joints on front axle (have new U-Joints)

Im wondering if anyone is in the binghamton area that has delt with adjusting the 4WD lever so that i can finally get outa 4wd. Ive looked up how to do it but theres no 'spin' thing just a bolt & rust. Also I have a Evap leak large code that im trying to track down to the LDP or somewhere. & i need to change U joints cause mine are crunching & i need an alignment. The jeeps inspection ran out about 2 months ago shortly after rebuilding the engine & i was so burnt out i havent been able to get everything taken care of. If there is anyone locally that wouldnt mind giving me a hand with possibly fixing my stuck in 4WD problem, helping Fix the toe (easy just not for 1 person), and maybe the U joints i would greatly appreciate it. the jeep isnt paid off yet and its just been in paperweight mode for 2 months now and its upsetting me. I dont have the money to take it to a shop unfortunately so im kinda at a loss. I dont want to sell it but as time goes on its just annoying to have a car im still paying for yet cant drive. The 45 mile each way commute to work is gruling and about 80% of is it road work. my now DD is getting beat up (modded up volvo) and i would rather drive the jeep that can take a beating much better

The radiator leaks a tiny bit but i cant find the good crushed walnut 4oz bottle (forgot the maker) but everyone said it would fix it cause its a pin hole)

The U-joints crunch & i have new ones just also have a crushed hip so working on it alone gets hard obviously

The motor runs great just need to fix this stuff to finally get it inspected & driving again (hopefully before i move out so it can help me move all my crap)

any help at all would be great, I have a hip problem and it has been rebuilt 2x so although i like working on my own vehicles it does get stressful. i managed to get it out of 4wd once but i put it back seeing as ill need it in 4wd to do the U joints. I have tools but maybe not ALL that are needed like a large socked for the hub & stuff. Also im moving out soon (2 weeks) and would rather not have to leave the jeep on the street at my parents where it has been since i finished the motor rebuild

B.F.Goodrich All Terrain T/A 245/75/R15
Rough Country 3" Lift & Shocks

Update, I disconected the 4wd shift lever all together and moved the arm by hand. still stuck in 4pt when i pust it all the way toward the front of the vehicle. There are the audible clunks as if it were going from 4hi to 4pt to 2wd but the 4pt light never turns off. This is with the inside vehicle shift lever completely removed from the T-case lever.

Also, how does anyone track a vac leak? ive tried the areosal spray around listen for rev or stutter. nothing. and i dont see any visually beat up lines.

As for the U-joints, I have a 3.5 day weekend coming up and hope to tackle that along with fixing the toe.

Regarding my 4wd issue, I will again check the T-case fluid although it was recently flushed. Is there any additive i could put in to help lube sh*t up if its like "jammed"? or any information on why when the levers disconnected all together an move the actuator by hand it wont get outa pt?

I just want the thing to drive safely. its summer so 4wd i can live without for now i guess but i need the evap leak large to get fixed before inspection & also im assuming the U-joints crunchin up a storm wouldnt help me pass either so those are my big to-do's . Thanks for any help

also another update / thought... if my jeep is currently slightly pigeon toed would that be an additional factor in me having a hard time gettin outa 4wd? I will inflate all my tires to like 40 ish maybe and then make sure the toe is correct hopefully and re-try. Ive heard thhat mismatched tires can cause this kinda bind, I have all the same tires all the same size an age but i just dont have anyone willing to hold a ruler while i check toe or a driveway to chalk up an check :(

Back