• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard brake line question

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
My front hard brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the front pass. brake line is broke. My question is were can i get a new one everywhere i looked doesnt have one long enough. and if i buy just the big spool of it then i need the flareing tool and the guy told me that the flaring tool will only make a certain flare not the one i need. The dealer parts office around here is only open on Thursdays and mondays and i need my jeep up and going. Can i get one from the junk yard or is that not going to be worth it or safe?

its a 97 Auto 4 liter if that makes a diff

Do you have ABS?

If you don't, then you have no need for any bubble flares on the passenger hardline. What you can do if you don't want to get a spool is get a piece of the longest line they have, and then a second piece, cut that to length and flare it, and then join the two together with a coupler you can get at any local autoparts stores.

Every flare on an XJ without ABS, with the exception of the little junction on the rear hardline, are double flares. Even then, only the lines going into the ABS module (which would happen to be one end of the passenger, driver, and rear lines) are bubble flares, which you need a separate tool to make the flares, since you can't do bubble and double flares on a single tool.

when you gotta have it--salvage yard.

If the salvage yard line is in real good condition you can pour some clean brake fluid through it, blow it out with air, repeat, then just install it and don't worry about it.

What I'd do is (assuming the line is fine for a few inches past the ABS module) cut the line just downstream of the ABS module, throw a double flare on it, and then double flare the new line and use an invert flare joiner.

OR get a bubble flaring tool. You're going to want to practice all your flaring (double and bubble) on some extra line before you do flares on the ones you'll be installing, expect the first few to come out badly.

Three things - NEVER use single flares on brake hardware. NEVER use compression fittings on brake hardware. And lastly... to "properly" bleed the brakes on an ABS system (per my FSM) you fully bleed the system normally, then use a Chrysler DRB II tool (several thousand dollars) to bleed the ABS module, then fully bleed the system again normally. You may want to do the repair, bleed normally, and then bring it to a dealership to have them bleed the ABS module and then the final normal bleed.

alright thanks for the help. is their a tool that can do both double flares and bubble flairs(thats not to expensive) or do i need to get two seperate tools? Ill probably end up just going to the junk yard though.

i think ill buy the bubble flare tool. i was looking and it would be really hard to pull a brake line out of a JY jeep and try to get it in my jeep without braking it or taking everything out of the jeep to get it in. so think ill make my own line and rerought it a different way. assuming it will not make a difference how i get it there?

As long as it's well secured and isn't going to get pinched in the hood or anything else, it will be fine.

Where is yours broken? Near the wheel well? It may be better to simply splice in replacement line if so. Did that on mine for the same reason, getting new hardline run along the firewall behind all the wiring is hell, and I'm OCD enough about such things that I would try to replace the factory line perfectly.

well... it was broken up high in the wheel well but i already pulled the whole thing out so.. that wont work. and just wondering their is only one bubble flare right. so im not going to buy the tool and find out mine is a different type of bubble flare?

Thanks for the help

Back