• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't start NSS?

heapxj

NAXJA Forum User
My '97 won't start. It just happened out of the blue thankfully in my driveway. The Jeep has power. Everything works except the starter. I turn the key and nothing. No sound at all. Could the neutral safety switch cause this? I noticed that my reverse lights work when they want so I'm thinking the unit is bad.

if its an automatic shake the shifter dont push the button in on the side though just wiggle it around mostly pull back on it but still have it in park it happens to my jeep randomly sometimes and when i pull back on it then it starts up like a beauty!

Mine does this on and off for the last year or so. Sometimes mine wont start even if you giggle it. It always fires up when I start it up in Neutral.

If that doesn't work then hit the starter solenoid with an easy tap or two and then see if it changes it's mind. If it starts up after hitting it then I'd make sure all the connections are tight and if so...I'd be looking into a new starter.

also if you tap the sylanoid and that helps you can pull the starter out and just clean the brushes and make sure they are sliding free with the spring still putting pressure on it for a good connection... its free and only takes about a whole 10 minutes to do!

I am not familiar with the codes or inspections, but here in TN we have no inspections so it is common place to bypass the NSS. You could do this for now and to confirm your troubleshooting. Find where the NSS plugs into the wiring harness and unplug it, then take a female wire connector and put on the lower two center pins on the wiring harness side of the plug. This gives the proper connection the ecu needs to start. You can just leave the NSS disconnected until you clean your old NSS or replace it with a new one.

heapxj said:
My '97 won't start. It just happened out of the blue thankfully in my driveway. The Jeep has power. Everything works except the starter. I turn the key and nothing. No sound at all. Could the neutral safety switch cause this? I noticed that my reverse lights work when they want so I'm thinking the unit is bad.

Do this -
Try to start it in Neutral. If it starts, it's the NSS. If it doesn't, it's either the relay or the starter.

If it didn't start, put a voltmeter on the small solenoid terminal and have someone else crank the key. You should see battery voltage at that terminal ONLY with the key in START - if you do, it's probably the starter. If you don't, it's probably the start relay.

The relay is located in the PDC, and should be a standard DIN Bosch/Hella relay, available anywhere for about $10.

5-90

5-90 said:
Do this -
Try to start it in Neutral. If it starts, it's the NSS. If it doesn't, it's either the relay or the starter.

If it didn't start, put a voltmeter on the small solenoid terminal and have someone else crank the key. You should see battery voltage at that terminal ONLY with the key in START - if you do, it's probably the starter. If you don't, it's probably the start relay.

The relay is located in the PDC, and should be a standard DIN Bosch/Hella relay, available anywhere for about $10.

5-90
I got a no start on my 94 does this still apply? It will not start in Neutral either. I think its the wire from the PDC to the starter solenoid becase I can start it with a direct wire to the battery and I know the realy works. Is there anything after the relay before the starter solenoid?

Back