• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low RPM's when XJ shifts into OD

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
When my XJ shifts into OD the RPM's drop to about 1200-1300 and it's almost like it's lugging the engine. This might be related but when driving up a hill at freeway speeds (55-65) my tranny searches a lot, shifting in and out of OD. I usually just put it in 3rd but that's not fixing the problem. Any ideas? TPS?

98 Limited 242 AW4 D35.

Start with the cheap and easy:

1. Check the fluid level and condition.

2. Adjust the throttle pressure cable.

3. Test the TPS.

Still having problems, unplug the TCU and drive it shifting manually to determine if the problem is mechanical/hydraulic or electrical.

With the TCU unplugged you should have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral and park. If you do get this result, then your problem is electrical in nature.

Check your wiring harnesses and engine mounts as well as everything Joe Peters said.

Disregard my last post they actually are not stock size. They are 225/70/15

that's close enough as to not really matter. that was an optioned size IIRC, or 235 was.

I'd start with the things mentioned previously by Joe_peters.

Sports came with 225's so that's not it.

Hunting is usually an issue if you are under~geared, or overloaded and in "D".

However... You just may want to clean your shift switch. On the right hand side of the AW4, there is a switch assembly, that tells the TCU what gear you are in. If it is dirty, I have heard of symptoms ranging from hard starting (need to jiggle the shifter) to hunting.

Ron

Back