• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator wire

Looks like one of the alternator field coil wires, you'll probably find the other half of that wire in the nearest wiring harness. Pull the split loom tubing back and it'll be in there somewhere.

Is it just me or is that one TINY picture?

I peeled back the wire loom and it is not there. There is a plug with a bigger orange wire on one side and the other side has one pure orange wire and a smaller orange wire.

What year XJ and what engine? I might be able to locate a wiring diagram and see what it's supposed to go to. Is it a plain orange wire or does it have a stripe on the side (and if so what color?) Looks like a RENIX era alternator for a 2.5L but I'm not entirely sure.

Only RENIX FSM I have on hand is an '88, I don't see an orange/white wire anywhere on the wiring diagram (they probably just switched up the colors for the fun of it in '87.) Hopefully Joe Peters / 5-90 / one of the other RENIX gurus will have more of an idea where that is supposed to go, I'm still fairly certain it's an alternator field coil lead but I don't know what it is supposed to connect to.

Well on the alternator I have three wires the one is lower and connected to stud which connects to the red one on the clip. And the lonely wire by itself. If this helps.

If you want the best, quickest and most knowledgeable answer then PM 5-90 on here as he's like the wiring guru especially when it comes to alts.

That looks like a GM alternator, possibly one with an internal regulator. If you cannot get a good answer on this site, possibly a GM site would have the answer.

That looks like a GM alternator, possibly one with an internal regulator. If you cannot get a good answer on this site, possibly a GM site would have the answer.

that's likely the case, all the Renix alts were internally regulated, they didn't start doing ECM regulation until chryco screwed it all up.

orange wire screams to me that it's a chassis wire, and that it's supposed to go the the starter relay. I'd look over in that area for it's cut counterpart.

Anyway, I'd pull the alternator and take it to the local parts store. Have them "test" it, and the diagram that they pull up on the test machine will tell you what all the connectors do.
Knowing what it does will be the best way short of a FSM to figure out where it goes.
I have no 86 FSM.

The wires in the white Nylon plug are indeed for the regulator - that is a Delco 12SI unit. The larger wire on its own (farther back in the pic) is the output wire that goes to power distribution.

You can find wiring diagrams at my RENIXPower group (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) as .pdf files for your perusal. Memebership is free, I just have to keep the SPAMbots out...

If either of those wires is broken, you aren't likely to get any current from the alternator - it's just along for the ride at that point.

The wiring diagrams, IIRC, were scanned from a Chilton's manual - but they're still decent. Wiring up the Delco units was really quite simple, unless all four wires on the later-model regulator plugs are used...

Thanks everyone for their input and 5-90 for the group link.

Now I know it goes to the choke heater relay. But does anyone know where this is located. Man I gotta get a shop manual for this xj LOL

Now I know it goes to the choke heater relay. But does anyone know where this is located. Man I gotta get a shop manual for this xj LOL

I'd find the choke on the throttle body and work back from there.

I'm 2.5 illiterate.

I've scored a number of FSMs (vintage) off of eBay for a decent price - check there. I just haven't nailed one down for 1984-1986 XJ/MJ yet...

I've scored a number of FSMs (vintage) off of eBay for a decent price - check there. I just haven't nailed one down for 1984-1986 XJ/MJ yet...

Its a little more expensive but bishko books has a lot of different kindd they reprints I had one for my dodge and loved it. Thought I would through that out there just incase someone is looking for a hard to find shop manual

Its a little more expensive but bishko books has a lot of different kindd they reprints I had one for my dodge and loved it. Thought I would through that out there just incase someone is looking for a hard to find shop manual
I couldn't find diddly squat for the years I was interested in from bishko unfortunately, so I checked ebay. Paid about $50 for my '96 XJ FSM (only main volume), $80 for my '91 full-line FSM (electrical/main + body/chassis volumes), and $90 for my '98 XJ FSM (massive stack of 6 volumes, has more info than I'll ever need... I hope!)

They've got a few smudges and greasy fingerprints on them, but nothing bad, everything is still legible and they've saved my ass more than once already.

I will likely never, EVER see an XJ or MJ as old as '86 in this neck of the woods, so I probably won't buy an FSM for that year. I've got an '88 in really sorry shape (a ton of pages missing, etc) that I picked up for cheap, all I really use it for is the wiring diagram, since I'm working on getting a '90 4cyl engine converted into an air compressor.

Back