• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coughing and snorting

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep starts and idles fine. it accelerates fine to. but when trying to cruse at a light thorttle/ light load it acts like its out of fuel and backfires. i been running it with no o2 sensor and put one in this last weekend helped a little but still doing it
any ideas?

oh its a 89 4.0

Check your distributor for endplay, remove the cap, grab the rotor and try to turn it. If it rotates and the shaft moves up or down the thrust washers are gone.
This is a easy check before you start replacing stuff.

i put a junk yard sensor in. the way things are set up with my ho header and 99+ intake i had to use a ho s-pipe which put the o2 next to the pumpkin on the axle. so any time i hit a bump hard enough its gona make contact. broke it clean off last time i went wheeling. so its a junk yard sensor, till i get the lift on

thanks kcjeep6 ill give that a look this weekend

Verifying proper fuel pressure is something that should be done early in the game.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. You should have approximately 31 psi at idle and you should have approx. 39 psi when you disconnect the line leading into the fuel pressure regulator.

i have noticed it only dose it when im crusing at or more the 2k rpm. when im doin the low rpm stuff round town it dont do it.

Could be a marginal fuel delivery problem (pump/regulator/filter)

Checked fuel pressure as I mentioned yet? Must be ruled out before moving onto more complex possibilities. Easy to do.

Also; when was the last time the filter was changed? Easy to do on an 89 and only a few bucks.

I'd cough and snort too if someone ran over my face

(seriously though, check your fuel pressure then check your sensor readings... hope you have a voltmeter on hand!)

Did you use the right year O2 sensor?

well i did check the fuel pressure its fine. it will do wide open throttle just fine. and the fuel filter was replaced a few months ago. it seems to only do it at or above 2000 rpm. dosent feel like its worst at 55mph it still does it when i put it in 3rd gear and cruse but not as bad

Back