• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing cover removal

For some reason this almost sounds like a trick question??? I've never had trouble pulling the timing cover. Pull the Belt. I'm not sure if the water pump has to come off, but I have always done the timing chain and the water pump at the same time. Pull the harmonic balancer, take out the bolts common to the block and the bolts common to the pan, lift/ tilt the cover off. There may be some accessory brackets involved as well. It's much easier to work in the area if you pull the grill and radiator.

I am in the process of changing out my Harmonic Balancer on the forlorn MJ. In the process I'll also be checking my timing chain etc. and replacing (likely) my front seal and timing cover gasket. Though I haven't yet been through the process it looks faily straight forward. So, I'll crawl this thread, and keep you posted on what I find.

Why are you removing the cover? Gasket? Seal?
I know my cover is leaking...it's the only gooey spot on the whole engine...and it's practically the only seal/gasket I have not done.

Pretty sure you need to change the oil pan gasket if you remove the timing cover anyways. Might be wrong though :dunno:

Some timing seal kits come with a piece that you replace the front of the oil pan gasket that you cut off. Not sure how you would ho about cutting the newer oil pan gaskets with the steel in them. Not sure I would trust it not to leak either.

The reason I need to know how to remove the timing cover is because my harmonic balancer seperated and ground thru the timing cover. I do not want to remove the oilpan so I wantto know the best way to get the cover off and install a new one without removing the pan. I strongly recommend everyone check their harmonic balancer occasionally to make sure they don't end up in this situation. Also if anyone has a good timing cover they want to sell I am interested since a new one will take 2 weeks or longer to get.

Back