• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 xj Aux fan relay location

Jetfixr320

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ 4.0L,

My Aux cooling fan doesn't come on either with the A/C on or when the temp climbs. It over heated last week while Idling.

So, my fan clutch may be bad also?

My Power distribution panel doesn't have a cover and its not marked.

Does anyone have a picture with the relays marked?

Thanks,
Jet

There is no PDC, per se, on a 90. There is a relay center:

2426393_11_full.gif

...and you rally should grab a cover for it at the JY, they're laying around all over at the JY here.

The aux fan relay (the one that powers the fan when you're hot) is on the driver's side fender, just behind the vacuum operated EGR solenoid, not to be confused with the A/C clutch relay in the "relay center". They may send signals to each other but they're not the same (in my experience).

There is no PDC, per se, on a 90. There is a relay center:

2426393_11_full.gif

...and you rally should grab a cover for it at the JY, they're laying around all over at the JY here.

The aux fan relay (the one that powers the fan when you're hot) is on the driver's side fender, just behind the vacuum operated EGR solenoid, not to be confused with the A/C clutch relay in the "relay center". They may send signals to each other but they're not the same (in my experience).

And as this doesn't match 89xj's explanation, and the FI training manual and FSM all seem to have vague references, you may have to do a little testing to be sure of the layout.

And as this doesn't match 89xj's explanation, and the FI training manual and FSM all seem to have vague references, you may have to do a little testing to be sure of the layout.

Curiousity got the best of me. Went outside and pulled the 3rd relay back, shown as fuel pump relay in the diagram, and my 90 MJ started right up................

Back