• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in pdx area know basic engine maint?

spikeypuck

NAXJA Forum User
So far I have had fairly good luck figuring things out with the search function and my FSM. I am having issues with what should be fairly basic to someone who has worked on a carbed engine before.
I basically have had an issue with backfiring, and running real rich. I Could use a little help with a compression test, and setting my timing.
I have an 85 2.5 litre, also I'm laid off right now so am pretty open time wise.

Let me know if you have a little time to teach a noob :doh:

Spike

Oh wow! Now the Washingtonians have really went off and drank too much fluoride water. Once they start saying things about Oregon we know they are becoming more and more delusional. Lol you been in tri-cities playing at Hartford swimming center again. :)

Lol its all good, Ive posted for help a couple times like this. Somehow it helps me get it figured out. Ill be trying again today.

Jimmy do you still want to do that bumper? Ill try to pay attention to my phone if you call. If you still are trying to get rid of those stock control arms I kinda want to cut them up so let me know.

If you have the money, try an oil change. i know with that 2.5 they are only required like every 40 years 400k miles. but it could help it Sputter a bit smoother.

Try pulling the Carb off, and dipping it in Nacho cheese sauce. I know it sounds weird.. but that (could?) clean it pretty well and should help give it some pep.

as far as any shifting problems go, I advise just go between Reverse and 5th. I know it will be a dog in 5th, so i advise a power adder. like a 250shot of Nitrous

Since its a lowly little 4 speed 5th would most likely make a growl. Ill look into what 7-11 wants for some cheese. I picked up a carb rebuild kit when I got my timing light yesterday, but you might be on to something there.. I changed my fluids just before noobfest So I'm good for another 400k there....
I am going with something I can figure out today. I need to pull my exhaust manifold and reweld a hole that somehow ended up in it... Just need to wait for my myscle relaxer to kick in :eeks1:

Since its a lowly little 4 speed 5th would most likely make a growl. Ill look into what 7-11 wants for some cheese. I picked up a carb rebuild kit when I got my timing light yesterday, but you might be on to something there.. I changed my fluids just before noobfest So I'm good for another 400k there....
I am going with something I can figure out today. I need to pull my exhaust manifold and reweld a hole that somehow ended up in it... Just need to wait for my myscle relaxer to kick in :eeks1:
:guitar:

If I thought he knew carbed engines I would have trapped him already. My back never unkinked today tho. If unkinked is a real word. So I ate another muscle relaxer and am watching recordings of Top Gear :cool:

Is there any difference between this NAXJA and this :NAXJA:?

Hey spike i got a real good mechanic at courtesy ford that does work for me real cheap. If needed we can take it to him and get it fixed up. I know you like to do your own work and learning but if it is out of your range we can get him to fix it.

Thank you for the offer. But I wouldn't be able to learn it that way. This should be pretty basic stuff , I just haven't done it before. Ill just do a little more reading and see what I can do.

Oh wow! Now the Washingtonians have really went off and drank too much fluoride water. Once they start saying things about Oregon we know they are becoming more and more delusional. Lol you been in tri-cities playing at Hartford swimming center again. :)
lol , Haven`t tried that swimming center yet. I didn`t say anything bad about Oregon yet , the booze is cheeper there ,No sales tax :clap:.We visit there a couple times a year .I know of 1 2.5 here that we are waiting for it to die but it refuses to do so ,simply amazing..

I would suggest a rebuild of the carb. If you backfire through the carb then you have a problem with the power valve. You could try to readjust it, but it will need a good cleaning to be able to get it right. I drive a 2.5 also. I love the gas mileage that I get, and I can play with the 4L drivers. I have had no problems running my 32's, and most 2 door 2.5 carburetor equipped jeeps come with the 4.10 axels.

Well since I am trying to teach myself as I go I tend to take bad advice once in a while. With my last fluid change I did my plugs as well. My friend that stopped by told me that my cap and wires looked fine, "no need to change them"

I just finished up the cap, rotor, wires, and even new plugs. Shes a happy happy jeep now :yelclap:

I bought a carb rebuild kit Been a little too chicken to do it yet. Since I am laid off I have a little more time so most likely will get the nerves. lol

I keep hearing that most 2.5's have 4.10 gears. My tag said 3.73:1 41/11

Thanx for the tip about the carb tho Scatterbrained. I will file that in my brain.

Back