• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yj steering?

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the YJ steering will work on the Xj dana 30 without swapping knuckles. I was looking at my cousins wrangler and it has the wheel to wheel tierod with the draglink tied in on the passeger side. Figured it might be a good way to hold me over until i can do the WJ knuckles and steering. Help appreciated

I've done it and it gave me major bump steer. i have 5.5in of lift. you have to extend the drag ling cuz the xj steering box is farther away than on a wrangler.

did you relocate the track bar?

Works fine.

I rocked the YJ arm both before and after TRE flip. You do have to make a pitman arm. I cut down and sleeved a V8 ZJ drag link arm (solid and beefy). Bump steer was non-existant with under the knuckle, noticable but no big deal with the flip.

jy-zj1.JPG

Works fine.

I rocked the YJ arm both before and after TRE flip. You do have to make a pitman arm. I cut down and sleeved a V8 ZJ drag link arm (solid and beefy). Bump steer was non-existant with under the knuckle, noticable but no big deal with the flip.

jy-zj1.JPG

whats the extra hole in the tie rod for? didnt get a great look at the yj set up on my cuzins rig. sorry if its a stupid question

i didn't relocate my track bar, i don't understand how it's done with out ending up with bump steer? mine looked just like that except under the knuckle. what did you do to the pitman arm?

you have to relocate the track bar to prevent bumpsteer assuming the angles of the draglink and trac bar are not the same. you are moving the draglink from the passenger side knuckle, inward, and it changes the angle so you have to either move the axle side track bar mount inward, or lower it (bad for ground clearance)

i didn't relocate my track bar, i don't understand how it's done with out ending up with bump steer? mine looked just like that except under the knuckle. what did you do to the pitman arm?

The level of bumpsteer is almost non-noticable. There's more interstate issues with the rear Detroit than with bumpsteer.

The JY pitman arm is too long, you have to cut it down. Factory is cheapo thin wall steel. I fragged one on the trail (lots of fun!). One shown is a V8 ZJ draglink that was cut down and sleeved. No way that will frag.

the upper blue arm is the drag link not the pitman arm. the pitman arm is the thing on the steering box the draglink bolts to. robs you seem to be confused by its name

Back