• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Console install

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
Today I installed my ZJ leather seats (YAY!) and was going to install a new (new to me) center console as well.

However, I had such a bear of a time getting the old one out that I am afraid to put the new to me one in without asking about it first.

I like to have NEVER got the old one past the parking brake lever. I ended up bending/breaking it to get it out.

Anyone installed a console in an 01' and if so how did you make it easier than my debaucle?

yeah I did that. I'll pop the Ebake loose and put it all in.

Thanks

I know taking out and putting mine back in multiple times you have to mess with the TC lever, shifter and Ebrake...all at different times to get it on right and not break it

You didn't pull it up far enough then. Like you really have to yank it on up there. Also it helped me to remove the center trim piece around the radio.

You shouldn't have to disconnect the e-brake. Just really yank it up there.

I have an 01 so I know it works.

just did this the other day. center radio bezel popped off, tcase in 4Lo, trans in drive without knob, pull ebrake farther than you normally would. having a buddy lend a hand helps too. i usually tilt the front of the console into position first then ease the ebrake into the hole

Thanks guys! Seriously, thanks.

Now if any of you know nwhat the white wire with the black stripe is for on that ZJ seat...

Center console.. Are you installing a newer console into an older XJ? Or just newer in newer?
With the older one, removing the bezels, and park brake handle if you are swapping to new one. and swap in the newer handles.

01 console going in an 01 XJ. Mine was all f'd up so I bought a good used one.

Well did you get it in yet?

I need to. I really do. The old console is laying in the back where the backseat WOULD be. It's out so I can sleep in the back on vacation next week. (Should I post Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival pics in the Adventure section? Hmmm...)

But after work that beer just looks sooooo good. And after the beer the couch looks even better.

And then it's time to go to work again.

:(

If you crawl underneath your rig and put some slack in your parking brake cable, that may make it easier to yank the lever up far enough. Of course, doing that is a pain too... Hope you have at least one gear wrench if that's the route you choose to take.

Back