• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone help me brakes locking up

Tcarsten

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the rear brakes and the right side keeps locking up.
This isnt my first time doing drum brakes but maybe i missed something.
I put it together the same way it came off.

Its a 91 with the D35

Re: Can someone help me breaks locking up

The most common reason for a brake lockup on drum brakes is getting the leading and trailing shoes swapped. Take a close look, they are different.

Since you just redid them, I'd take them apart, and check, as Old Man suggests, to make sure they're together right. Short shoes lead. Make sure all springs are in place, and double check that the adjuster cable guide is on right. The cable guide sits in a hole in the shoe, and one of the springs goes through it. It's very easy for that guide to fall slightly out of the hole, yet still be retained by the spring. When that happens, it can look right, but the cable is too slack and there will be no adjustment. Look carefully at the placement of the adjuster pawl on the adjuster. If it's not obviously ready to catch a tooth on the adjuster, there's a problem. No insult intended to the experienced here, but also check that you didn't mix up adjusters between right and left.

Did you replace all the springs and hardware? If not, a stretched or damaged spring could cause problems.

Assuming everything is in place, make sure you manually adjust the brakes, and then run the self adjusters a few times as well. Drive slowly back and forth on pavement, push brakes firmly, and make sure you come to a full stop each time.

Back