• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost of Fuel Injector Replacement

304jstevet

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have a round-a-bout price it would cost me to have 6 new fuel injectors put in my 96 XJ 4.0, I've been getting a wide arrange of quotes from backyard mechanics, anywhere from $30 to $61 for one fuel injector and thats just the cost of the fuel injector itself?

Before droping a couple of hundred on injectors, run a can of BG44K through your fuel. Don't settle for any substitutes. Injectors rarely get so worn they don't function. They get clogged. BG44K will remedy the problem in the vast majority of cases. It runs around $20 a can. At the same time it will clean out the carbon from the combustion chamber and off the valves.

I run a can in every vehicle I own every 10k miles.

Replacing an injector is a simple task and shouldn't take over 15 minutes. Injectors are however not cheap. If you pull the fuel rail to replace an injector I recommend replacing the o-rings on ALL of the injectors while you have it apart. That will add about another 15 minutes and $10 worth of o-rings.

I payed $60 bucks each for 2 injectors a few months back.....Worst $120 i ever wasted. I picked up a complete set of newer style injectors used, and they work far better than the new ones i bought. As old_man says, replace all orings while your in there. one bad o ring can burn your XJ to the ground.

You can get kits of injectors off ebay for like 30-50 bucks from what I recall. I think that's what Joe said his Ford 19lb (or was it 24lb? I forget) injectors cost him.

Seconding trying injection cleaners first though.

my local u-pull and pay wants 10 dollars each for injectors. i agree with the others: o-ring replacement is a must with the injectors being right over the header! mike

I've been getting a wide arrange of quotes from backyard mechanics,

here sounds like your problem, if you went to a real mechanic you probably wouldn't have to replace them all
injectors rarely all go bad, sounds like you might have other issues

Back