• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heat-related paint question

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Going to be painting my JCR belly pan soon (this weekend, hopefully), and am in a bit of a quandry -

First thought was to go with the Rustoleum Hammered Silver like I used on my bumper. Then when I got to the HW store, I spotted the Rustoleum Spray-on Bedliner and thought that might hold up better underneath (also comes in quarts for touch-up brushing) the vehicle. Prep plan is to go over entire plate with 60-grit, wash down with acetone, and air dry.

However, since this belly pan is going to be in very close proximity to the cat. converter and the exhaust, I'm concerned about how the bedliner (or the hammered) would tolerate the heat. Rustoleum's customer support says pretty much all of their products are only rated to 200F then they start peeling. They suggested one of the high-heat paints (such as BBQ paint, I suppose).

For those of you who have installed painted metal near your exhaust, what have you used and how's it tolerating the heat?

I've got black rustoleum on my BruceB83 Transfer Case skid and it's been on for almost 2 years now.

Had it off last week to replace a trans mount and the paint has held up fine.

How close to the exhaust does it sit?

I've painted just about everything short of the converter itself with high temp engine enamel and with the exception of the exhaust manifold itself, never had the paint "peel" off. I'd have no problem spray bombing the belly pan with the engine enamel and forgetting about it, but if you were really concerned with the paint staying on it (rust prevention) I'd use the BBQ paint as a first coat and another color (if you wish) as the top coat.

Thanks, guys.

Painted the first side of the skid Sunday evening (put 4 light coats on) using the bedliner spray mentioned above, and like how it's coming out so far - while not smooth (got a gritty feel like maybe 120-grit sandpaper), it looks good.

Other side gets done tomorrow evening after work.

Back