• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Repair

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 38" SX in trade for some work awhile back and it has about an inch long sidewall gash that is deep but not all the way through the carcass. I know some people have had those repaired with spot-vulcanization (basically melts the rubber back together) coupled with an interior patch, but have been unable to locate a shop willing to do that. Have any of you had this done, and where in the north King Co. / south Sno Co. area? Any leads appreciated.

I picked up a 38" SX in trade for some work awhile back and it has about an inch long sidewall gash that is deep but not all the way through the carcass. I know some people have had those repaired with spot-vulcanization (basically melts the rubber back together) coupled with an interior patch, but have been unable to locate a shop willing to do that. Have any of you had this done, and where in the north King Co. / south Sno Co. area? Any leads appreciated.

Doug, I don't know of any places that do that kind of work. However, I would suggest that you might be more likely to find somewhere that does "farm" type equipment farther out of town as a more likely type of place.

I was not aware that anyone would do that to sidewalls?

Michael

I believe it's called a section repair and there's a lot of good info on Pirate. I saw a lot of AG tires repaired as a kid when I worked as slave labor on a farm for a couple summers, my parents called it babysitting :laugh:.

From the thread on pirate ( http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701785&highlight=sidewall+repair&page=2) here's a place that does it in Everett: http://phelpstire.com/pages/others/others.html

Awesome. I left a message with Phelps (call went straight to voicemail) I'll let you know how it all shakes out. Thanks for the info.

I know it's a long way from you but they will repair it. It has been many years but they have done several for me. I am going to be back and forth from the Tacoma area in the next several weeks I can haul it from there.

Northwest Retreaders
Street: 19004 Northeast San Rafael Street
Gresham, or 97030-
Phone: (503) 665-6144

Industrial Tire Services ‎7331 Northeast Killingsworth Street, Portland, OR 97218-3734(503) 256-1016‎

Worked with them in the past also. That would be a good shop also.

Thanks for all of the replies. Formula Tire in Marysville used to do them too, stopped for liability reasons. John, if Phelps doesn't get back to me, I'll hit up the guy on NWW you mentioned, thanks.

Doug

where is it 'safe' to repair a tire?
seems like i always end up getting the no-go from most tire shops.

like my current problem with a half year old km2:
a nail stuck in the base of the first lug from the sidewall.

the tire holds air - but at about 25 psi.

how come they dont want to fix this?

I would think you would be okay to pull it out and throw a plug in it:dunno:

there is very little money in fixing your tire, lots of places do it for free. They can make way more by selling you a new tire, so repairs are "unsafe" and a "Liability".

They want to sell you a tire!

I have repaired many sidewall punktures (sp?) If I remember (BY THE BOOK) what book I don't know:laugh: A side wall can be repaired within 1 inch of the bead up to 1/4" hole. To do so you plug it first then buff the inside smooth and to the size of the patch. Apply vulcanizing fluid let it setup then apply the patch. (I would use a radial 110 size repair) Then stitch into place. Thats all there is to it.

I know this because back in the day when I started off in life I use to be a tire tech for good ol Less. If I had the stuff I could show you how to do it your self. I have the stitcher and buffer and plugs. You would just need to get a rubber buffer stone and a radial repair patch.

Dave

ah, it all makes sense - they want my money!
well, i guess i was being naive about the situation.

i'll pick up a tire repair kit somewhere.

i mentioned a 'tutorial' in the NWFEST activities thread..
..yep, im an opportunist!

it doesnt sound too hard, but could be a good thing to do at camp one nite!
im sure im not the only self tire repair virgin..

Where did you buy the tire? I bet if it had a warranty they would have repaired it, and would have never said a thing to you about a hole in the sidewall.

Dave

Where did you buy the tire? I bet if it had a warranty they would have repaired it, and would have never said a thing to you about a hole in the sidewall.

Dave

i wish i was closer to where i bought my tires!
tires are $$$$$$ here in canada..

i got 4 km2s 6 months ago at Discount Tire on 1st ave south in seattle.
204.00 each for a 245/75r16 km2.

i am using one of my old km1s as a spare..
..i just looked into getting a new km2 up here in Canada.

the guy says 'hold on to the counter' when he gets me a price quote:
1 tire mounted and balanced: 370 dollars.

gimme a break!!!!!!!
i'll swing down to the states sometime soon and grab a new km2.
then use this one we patch at NWFest as my spare.

took some pics tonite.
its in a bad spot, eh...?

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Back