• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

class 2 hitch

Digging a dead thread up; Any input anyone?

I have been contemplating the same issue lately.

If this is adequate to be used as a recovery point:

hook.jpg

Then I can see no reason why a non-universal class II hitch which is bolted through the uniframe-rail with 3 bolts on each side would not be acceptable and perfectly safe recivery point.

The only arguments anyone would have be:

A) Additional leverage on the mounting bolts because of the hitch aparatus (although it also has twice the number of attachment points as the rear hook)

B) The Bolts are smaller diameter (maybe ~ 1/16 of an inch... maybe)

I plan on running mine and would be mighty peeved if anyone attempts to tell me I don't meet minimum requirements for a ride due to solely this.

no offense but why not just run a regular class 3 hitch and never have to worry about it? They aren't all that expensive, you could even get one from a junkyard if money is that much of an issue.

jsk2052 said:
no offense but why not just run a regular class 3 hitch and never have to worry about it? They aren't all that expensive, you could even get one from a junkyard if money is that much of an issue.

It's not a money issue, it's more of a principle/ theory issue for me.

Additionally I'm planning on running a small lift (3 inches or less) and I know that on my XJ on 35's the 2 inch hitch drags on a LOT of obstacles. I plan on running a beefy gas tank skid and thus, would be able to slide that much more smoothly off ledges etc. (every inch counts)

It's not a money issue, it's more of a principle/ theory issue for me.
===========================================
You want to experiment. Cool, with EVERY experiment comes a chance of failure. That is a given. You are on here trying to gather data. To insure an informed disseisin. Also cool.
The duds on here will give there best advice at least as they see it. Please thank them for there efforts. Weather you agree or not.
But in the end you just got to go for it. If it fails you hide it away and hope no one saw it. Else the endless badgering by your friends.:)
If we do everything just like every one else. It will work. But it will never get better too.
The VERY best of luck in everything you try.

===============================
It's hard to find a good bud.
Even harder to lose one.
WORK SAFE

That OT skid is pretty much what I'm planning on building... Thanks for the link hadn't seen it.

badron said:
If it fails you hide it away and hope no one saw it. Else the endless badgering by your friends.:)

You can bet if I rip off a foot of uniframe I'll be posting pics...

Most of what I was looking for in this thread was 'why shouldn't I run it' or even just a good tech discussion to challenge my theory that this will be fine.

Here is mine. The hitch is in the bumper (much higher than stock).

skid1.jpg

There are tabs on the bumper that are drilled and tapped for the skid. Good clearance.

Back