• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In need of some help guys

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88xj 6cyl 4.0 l
I have had this problem a while back and someone fix it for me
In the thermostat housing there are 2 crews the bottom one i tightened to tight one time and it broke the back part of the block where the T-housing meets the block now i can get a scew in there like my friend from NY did but once i put a bolted on the threaded screw it just loosens the threaded screw and when i put antifreeze it leaks out of there
The threaded screw was grinded to take the head off so I can have just a threaded screw to stick into the bottom hole the way he had it it was great the moment i change my gasket n thermostat I couldnt get the hole to stop leaking what should i do?!!!!!

So the threads are stripped out of the bottom hole? and now it leaks?
Helicoil the stripped hole is probably easiest.

man when i say more than the threads are stripped i mean it literally i had to jam the threaded stub into that hole as tight as i can then put a nut on top to hold the T-housing in place it was hell i think where i went wrong was not letting the silicone dry so it just kept leaking this time i gave a couple of hours and then filled it with antifreeze
it leaked just a lil bit a for a couple of seconds or so but its good now i think thanks

&^%$% I wish i didnt have to write this but i do the damn things still leaking its little drops at a time but its still a leak.. I dont know how to helicoil it. Not sure if it possible with out disassembling the whole thing down to the head coming off just so i can get to the whole because the bottom hole is located between the 2 fans and in front of the radiator low enough where i cant get to the dang thing
problem is I work and need the rig everyday except probably twice out the week last time i change a head gasket it took me 3 days straight but it was my 1st job though so mayb i might could do it faster but i dont want to take this head off for no reason what if i take it off n I can't fix it

Any reason you couldnt take the radiator out? I would go for removing the front clip and rad vs. removing the head.

Can you take a picture? Its pretty easy to helicoil, same as drilling and tapping a hole, but you add an insert to make the hole back to the size it is supposed to be stock. Sorry I cant be more help. CA is kinda far for a wrench party

I've never took the radiator out before but I guess its a way better way to go...
the hole in question I wish i could take a pic im going to search my pc and see if i ever took it in the past.
Im not experienced in the tapping, or helicoil ill try to search and see what i find maybe some lessons or something
but the bottom part of where the hole is broke like literally part of the block broke off.it was a little piece... but its where it broke from... and thats exactly where the hole for the bottom bolt of the T-housing goes not the T-housing itself but where the T-housing meets the block

I can't understand your posts but I will give it a try. Thread repair kits (like helicoil, time-sert, and many other brands) work by drilling the original hole a couple sizes larger, tapping it for a larger thread size, and then twist in a coil insert that is threaded for the new size outside and the original size inside. Once the coil insert is in place you are back to using original hardware, but the bolt threads into the coil instead of the block. You can pickup thread repair kits at most hardware stores, eve some automotive places have them

If you cant get your drill past the radiator, pick up a 90-degree drill adapter. You can get these from Sears and other places Sears link.

If the boss the bottom threads are cut into actually snapped off, this could get more interesting. A pic would really help to determine if a threaded insert is gonna do the trick.

If there is not enough material left for the insert to grab, either 3M or locktite makes an epoxy that can be drilled and tapped. Maybe try posting up in your chapter forum and you can locate someone closer to help.

Back