• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double cardan horrible squeaking noise

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
It JUST started doing it on last Friday and its pretty loud and annoying. Sounds like a fan belt sort of squeak. It only does it when there is no gas peddle being applied and its spinning. I tried cleaning out all the dirt and grime that was in there, but it still does it. The u-joints are not greasable. Im going to JV on Friday. Should I change out the u-joints before? Do you guys think that could be the problem?

Double-cardan-0246.jpg
[SIZE=+1]
DOUBLE-CARDAN U-JOINT
[/SIZE]

how old are the joints in it?
any visible movement of the caps?
gone through any water or mud lately?
anything caught on or between it and something else? (could be something small rubbing a grease seal or something)

I had the same problem on my YJ when I got it and found that it needed some love from pb blaster to get the rust that had formed in the crevices but it was a seldomly driven heep. Prolly not the case for something driven daily.

dzraces said:
how old are the joints in it?

Sorry, I do not know.

[/quote]any visible movement of the caps?[/quote]

Not that I could see.

[/quote]gone through any water or mud lately?[/quote]

I went through mud about 1 month ago. Cleaned the jeep right after that.

[/quote]anything caught on or between it and something else? (could be something small rubbing a grease seal or something)[/quote]

I'll look at it more tonight I guess. I can take it down and appart and then I can determine if It needs new u joints if all the caps fall off. =)

[/quote]I had the same problem on my YJ when I got it and found that it needed some love from pb blaster[/quote]

Maybe I should just blast an entire can of PB blaster and air up there and that could fix it.

you need to get a rebuild kit for the cardan joint. It should come with a new centering yoke, some springs and such. Everything you need to do it.

Not offhand, but make sure to put some grease on the centreing ball between the two joints. Use lithium "trailer grease" there, since it's exposed to the elements - and trailer grease tends to be more water-resistant than other stuff...

When you cleaned out the mud from your traversal, you probably flushed the grease out of there as well.

5-90

What a PITA. I don't know if I'll have enough to fix it. I called East County Driveshaft and he said its probably the CV Centering Kit that needs to be rebuilt and to bring the shaft down there for him to look at. Now, I might not make JV.
=*(

dzraces said:
dude go hit the junk yard and get a spare less than $50 and 10 min work. Then re build your old one after the JV event

How late are junk yards open? I work 7-4 M-F so I would have to go today and its 2:03 right now?

Okay im sorry im not looking at the Jeep right now, but does the double cardan unbolt from the drive shaft?

Are all u joints greaseable or do they make ones that are not greaseable?

Im thinking maybe the ones on my double cardan are greaseable but require the needle grease head to be able to grease them.

Clint said:
Rebuild it your self, very easy. If yours is like the picture you'll need the flange part instead of the centering ball for the front shaft. The part no is 211229x, but the directions are the same as the writeup below.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driveshaft/driveshaft-1.htm

Thank you for the link. I really hate the fact that right now in San Diego it gets dark at 5 p.m. Used to be 8 during summer.

Back