• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with AC green oil pics

ariff390

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I have been trying to track down a problem with my AC. It will seem to work just fine and it is nice and cold. Then every once in awhile I'll hear a short grinding sound. It lasts no longer than a second. The AC still works and it is still nice and cold. However when I look under the hood I see the green PAC oil from the compressor splattered all over my firewall and hoses. As you can see in my pictures it looks like it is shooting from a hole on the back of the compressor. Any ideas what might be causing this problem? Thanks guys!

jeep%20AC.JPG

Here is the rear view of the compressor where the oil appears to be shooting out from.

jeep%20AC1.JPG

jeep%20ac2.jpg

High pressure release valve. Either a problem with the valve or a possible overcharge/ restriction situation causing the valve to pop off. I'd put a set of gauges on it, if pressures are within spec replace the compressor.

I would be more inclined to think it is coming from one of the lines, but who knows.. Why not try cleaning everything up...then cover things with a few clean white rags maybe taped in place...the run the system...after it has leaked again, unwrap things to find out which rag is collecting the leak.

Yeah I thought lines as well.. That one line with the oil on it is directly in front of the pressure relief valve. So I think it is hitting that on its way out. Good idea with the rags. My father in law and I put some gauges on the system and it was reading high in the red without the car running. With it running it was right at the high end. Think I have to much pressure in there? Maybe I should take it by the shop and see if they will check it for me. I am assuming they can bleed off the system if it is to high? This is all new to me. Up to this point in my life AC has always been magic. I have never had to work on one..
Thanks.

The green stuff is dye that is used for finding leaks. It glows when you hit it with an ultraviolet light. It is OK for the low side to read high if the engine is not running - when you turn on the AC the low side will drop. Just telling us "high" or "low" doesn't tell us anything. What were the high and low side pressures while it was running?

Go here to learn about AC Systems. I have researched in there before and I remember reading about the compressor failing causing particles to plug the expansion valve then causing high pressure. This could get to be an expensive repair as it pretty much trashes all the components of the system. Be prepared for the worse but I hope it is a simple fix for ya.

Yeah I thought lines as well.. That one line with the oil on it is directly in front of the pressure relief valve. So I think it is hitting that on its way out. Good idea with the rags. My father in law and I put some gauges on the system and it was reading high in the red without the car running. With it running it was right at the high end. Think I have to much pressure in there? Maybe I should take it by the shop and see if they will check it for me. I am assuming they can bleed off the system if it is to high? This is all new to me. Up to this point in my life AC has always been magic. I have never had to work on one..
Thanks.

Ever fix this problem? I think I'm having the same one...

Well Yes this problem seems to be fixed by replacing the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. However my cooling problems continue. My mechanic and I can't get the A/C to cool like it should, only about 60*
So my A/C problems continue, looking into the high pressure switch now. I am getting tired of throwing money at the problem. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Just don't get that green crap in your eyes. .....it burns.:flame:

Doesn't taste too good either!

What year XJ? If 97+, have you done an evaporator yet? They're pretty well known for going out on the later models.

Back