• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing the XJ

ACME

NAXJA Forum User
We're taking our MH to Yellowstone next month and decided to tow the XJ behind it. We've decided to barrow a buddies tow dolly and we're wondering if anyone on here had experience using one with their XJ, comments and what's the procedure with using a dolly with the A/T-transfer case??? Gracias!

I'd assume it's like dolly towing my pops' Chevy 4x4. put the trans and transfer case in neutral. Or if you want to be supper easy on the trans pull the rear drive-shaft.

If you are going to put the front up on a dolly you can either pull the front for the rear shaft.

If you pull the front shaft just make sure the TC is in N and the trans in park. Per per chrylser it is not recommended to suspend one end and roll the other without removing at least on shaft. Remember the TC oil pump is internally driven by the rotation of the rear yoke.

If you pull the rear shaft nothing more is needed.

I flat tow mine all the time and have never had any issues.

Good luck.

Leep

all depends on the year and transfer case. Older 231's don't give a true neutral. If you have an SYE, just pull the shaft. If not, check to see if it has a true neutral by putting the transfer case in Neutral, jacking 1 end up and seeing if you can turn the shaft while the other one stays stationary. If it's an older 231, both shafts are locked and you won't be able to turn the driveshaft that's on the end in the air.

So, the comments make me wonder if we're better off flat towing??? Towed tons of trailers but have never flat towed other than a bug-1 time, but have heard enough horror stories we thought the dolly'd be the better option??? We've heard swaying, wheels going opposite the turns, poor turing radius(which the 32' MH already has issues with on tight roads) etc... Thus the dolly with a swivel seemed like the call... So for the guys that've done it: Flat Tow; What's the steps on a late model (98, A/T) w/o an SYE and the pro's cons of flat towing. Dolly; Same car and is it necessary to pull the rear shaft??? If flat towing are most of you installing a batt switch to leave the column unlocked???Thanks again, we've heard 27 stories from 16 poeple and none own an XJ...

Towed my 2001 about 4k miles last summer on a dolly behind my motorhome. I just put the t-case in neutral, trans in park, parking brake off. No trouble at all.

Tried to tow my son's 1990, but apparently his t-case doesn't have neutral. Had to disconnect the drive shaft.

Both have 231 tcases, but the older one must be slightly different.

Flat towing has the advantage of not having the weight of the dolly, but then you have the extra expense of lights and brakes. The tow dolly has both on it, so that part is cheaper.

Steve in Colorado Springs.

Flat tow would be TC in Neutral and Trans in Park.

Pull the rear driveshaft(seal the output shaft on the earlier models).Remember the t-case pump spins from the driveshaft.

Flat towing is so much easier once you are set up with a tow bar. I just flat towed my '89 for 4,000 miles in the last 3 weeks. No dolly to stow, just a fold up tow bar.

Been out of town... Thanks for the input, now I'm confused as heck! I'll toss a jack under it next week and see if it's got true neutral, if so sounds like a dolly won't be an issue; CORRECT??? Time is the killer right now and the Dolly is easy, a tow bar takes a little effort as we have an aftermarket bumer etc... and i really don't have the time to deal with it. While we're at it any thoughts on the type of tow bar. Been on craigslist and say a ton on high $ stuff for cheap and figure we might fab the mount... Thanks again NAXJA is awesome!

Towed my xj home on a car dolly behind a wj. i had to take every turn like an 18 wheeler if i didnt i would have hit the xj with the tires on the trailer if i was to do it again i would use a flat bed or if i had a motorhome use the bumper pulls like all the other motorhome owners

We have flat towed our 2001 XJ for around 35,000 miles behind our class-C Ford E450 motorhome without problems.
You need to think about brakes. The E450 owner's manual states that towing brakes are required whenever towing anything heavier than 1500 lbs. Have an accident towing, without aux brakes, and the lawyers will tear you apart for violating the manufacturer's requirement.
Many tow dollys have surge brakes. If you flat tow, you will not have any tow brakes unless you use something like a Brake Buddy.
http://www.brakebuddy.com/
I use an SMI brake that is built into the XJ.
http://www.smibrake.com/

Our previous motorhome was too underpowered to pull the XJ so we ended up renting often. Enterprise Rent-a-car will deliver a car to your campsite if you are within range. You will save on gas, compared to towing, and will be able to travel faster. Something to think about .
Have a good trip.

Thanks and keep it coming! We're brining the dog and the way he sheds the rental company would total the car... thus we think dragging the XJ is the call (he has claimed the XJ's back seat as his)... We race, and tow quite a bit behind the MH but taking the flatbed is not an option given most parks have issues with M/H trailers and ours is a little long. For the big up/down runs (2-3) we planned to unhook & drive it to save wear, tear and the hassle. Keep the info coming, it's very helpful!!!!

FYI, to those in CA (or others interested in the fight) we are in a tough land battle for Barstow & Lucerne and need everyones help. Here's a 5 min survey that could help keep our public lands open...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sh...lley-Economic-Impact-I-NEED-YOUR-HELP!-Part-2

Last edited:
Back