• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few finishing tranny touch ups. Stuck...

WrenchedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89. After driving around for a few months with no reverse, I came across a 94 without an engine. The rest of the drivetrain was good. I was excited being able to upgrade to the newer trans with the higher spline. I swapped in the trans, transfercase, and torque converter. I was originally going to use the linkage from the 89 but the plastic clip that slides over the shaft on the tranny broke. I cut in the trans tunnel for the 95 cable to fit. When I was putting the plastic clip on the shifter handle, I pushed to hard and broke one of the 4 clips. Now it doesnt want to stay connected all the time. Any ideas for this? Also, while doing the swap, I have the TCMs to deal with. I have the TCM from the 94, but the plug does not match up to my 89. I also have the plug for the 94, but will have to investigate the wiring. Currently the 89's is hooked up and it shifts smooth and fine. Can I just leave the 89's in there without any negative effects?

Just leave the 89 one in there, it'll be fine. The transmission electronics are the same 89 vs 94 - solenoids and output speed sensor, at least.

As for the linkage... I'd hit the junkyard. Won't cost more than ten or 20 bucks probably.

It's fully functional, though fairly useless IMO ;) The switch tells the TCU whether you want to shift quickly or gently basically, the transmission just does what it's told.

Speaking of which... did you adjust the throttle valve cable after installing the new transmission? It's the one that goes from the transmission to the throttle body.

All my power/comfort switch has done is make me think I finally burnt up my AW-4 (at 200k+ it doesn't really owe me anything) every time I bump the switch with my knee.

ha, actually now that you say that, you just reminded me to go out and make sure it was acutually connected. No, I have not adjusted it yet. Its sounds important though.

Back