• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hot HVAC wires/melted connectors

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
For starters, I drive a '92 XJ, 4.0, factory AC.

A couple of the wires leading into my HVAC controller get super hot in just a few seconds of the unit being turned on. There are 2 electrical connectors that snap into the unit and 1 wire on each connector does this. The plastic connectors are actually a little bit melted and charred from this, so that it does not always work until I've moved it around just a bit by hand.

I pulled the wires out of the worst of the two connectors and just individually connected them to the control unit and it works perfectly well, although one wire is still burning hot (it's the 2nd from the right). I figured I would just run to the JY tomorrow and look for a good connector to put my wires into, but realized that would be futile as it too would eventually melt.

I need to get my AC recharged but don't want to do that until I know for sure that everything is copasetic. Any idea what would cause this? Is this familiar to anyone else? Thanks for your help.

Back