• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 XJ Soup Can-Looking Canisters?

JeepDawg

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85XJ 2.5 4.0Cyl. There are two soup can-looking canisters on the passenger side....near the battery. What are they? Where can I get replacements?

I have read about a canister under the front bumper. Since I have these two soup cans, do I also have the canister under the bumper? (I would look, but I'm away on a biz trip.)

Sounds like vac cannisters to me... might have been a quick fix to a broken one.

Thanks.....as always! Are these the same as the charcoal canisters, where you can replace the filters inside? Or do they have to be completely replaced?

It depends on whether they are vac cannisters or part of the emissions fuel system cannister. If they are just black metal coffee cans with one or two vac lines they are probably vac resevoirs. If they have like 4 or 5 connections on top of them with little turrets thats the evap cannister.
Evap cannister which is part of the fuel system, filters are available at most automotive stores for a buck or two for two.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/images/evap.jpg

They are not charcol canisters. They are stock. Thats about all I can tell ya with out a pic. But I do know that I have them on my 85 with a 2.8L.

OK....one more thing.....how do I replace these things? They were discontinued by Chrysler....and they don't seem to use filters.

Last edited:
They are just vacuum resivours. You could replace them with one of the ball shaped resivours of a newer XJ.

Or if for some reason you want to keep that origional look ford used the same canisters up into the early 90s on some of their cars/trucks.

andyr354 said:
They are just vacuum resivours. You could replace them with one of the ball shaped resivours of a newer XJ.

Or if for some reason you want to keep that origional look ford used the same canisters up into the early 90s on some of their cars/trucks.

Yea, that was one of the first places I ever saw them, looked like small coffee cans painted black. They were on the fender wells.

salvage yard.

Thanks......but I was hoping for a new/replacement part. If I go to the salvage yard, I might as well cop one from an XJ....and there's no telling what kind of condition that one is in.

www.chryslerpartsdirect.com has a vacuum reservoir for $10.49 listed under emission controls in the collision section (not the mechanical section). They state that this is for non-cruise control xjs. As far as I know the two canisters are the same with the front one being for the cruise and the rear primarily for heater/AC control. I don't recall exactly how the two canisters are mounted but will look in the morning. In any event I assume you could get two (if you have cruise) and figure out a way to mount both.

I have had good luck on several orders with these people but have found that they do not necessarily remove items from their site that are no longer available from Chrysler. I need one of these myself (front can failed, cruise not working so moved the HVAC line to the cruise can) but haven't called yet to make sure it's the correct item and is available.

I think I still have those two vacuum canisters from my 85. If I find them would you like them? They were in good shape.

Kim.

Back