• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep never heats up, EVER

max419

NAXJA Forum User
I punched a hole through radiator on a trail a week ago, i replaced it with a new aluminum/plastic. While i was at it i removed the ac condensor.
So ive been driving it since and i havent seen the temp gauge move past the the first notch, technically not even to it. My jeep used to run a steady 210deg.

Not like its a bad thing, but just didnt think removing the the condensor would increase air flow/cooling so dramatically.

Ive even tried getting her to really heat up, running her hard, but to no avail.
anyone ever have this "not a problem".

Thermostat stuck open?

Fans stuck on--bad fan clutch or efan running all the time?

Sending unit bad?

A lot of jeepers envy your problem. (But is is not good for your motor if it really is.) You need to determine if it is really heating up or not. The gauge says NO, but is it right? Does the radiator hose feel too hot to hold your hand on? If it is, change your temperature sending unit. If it is only lukewarm, change the thermostat. Use a Stant premium. Smooth operation and cheap enough anyway.

Being that my XJ gets up to 210 degrees until it gets to below 15 degrees outside, I can't believe that the fan being on too strong or anything like that will prevent warming up enough. Down to 0, it still gets up to 205.

Just wait for that fancy new rad to get plugged up a bit. That should raise your temps. to where they need to be. :D

I'd almost bet on your t-stat being stuck open tho.

I punched a hole through radiator on a trail a week ago, i replaced it with a new aluminum/plastic. While i was at it i removed the ac condensor.
So ive been driving it since and i havent seen the temp gauge move past the the first notch, technically not even to it. My jeep used to run a steady 210deg.

Not like its a bad thing, but just didnt think removing the the condensor would increase air flow/cooling so dramatically.

Ive even tried getting her to really heat up, running her hard, but to no avail.
anyone ever have this "not a problem".

IMO, this *is* a problem. Your temp gauge should never register far below your thermostat rating unless it's below freezing out. So you either have a cooling system malfunction or a temp reading malfunction. You need to determine which.

T-stat(185) is fine opening and closing, maybe i should put in a higher temp t-stat, my fans are on a switch(never on), the gauge does move but like i said not passed the first notch or just to it. but it isnt overheating, cause when my jeep really heats up she seems to want to die here and there.

When i punched the hole I overheated pretty good, temp gauge was "nearly" pegged maybe that messed up the reader\gauge. it was still working while i was burping the system though, but she feels like shes running alot cooler.

I know that this must disgust some xjers, When i got my jeep i had major over heating problems, when in the heat. but this is tripping me out.

I'll be interested to hear if you're able to solve this problem because I have a similar issue. My XJ overheated pretty bad on the highway one day so I replaced the thermostat and fan clutch and flushed it out. Now it won't run at 210*, it sits right between the first and second strikes. I've tried a mopar and a stant 195* thermostat and my fan does not stay on. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my head gasket or something but I don't really know.

Infrared thermometer readings? check around for a shop or friend with one. Or purchase one.

Cold start-CAREFULLY feel upper radiator hose, at 3-5 minutes should feel sudden switch to 'Hot' as thermostat opens. Too hot to hold.

Sounds most likely thermostat problem, OR needs a good burp OR Both!

Could be Two problems - 1)'stat and 2)Temp meter sensor/wiring. Need to check out both good.

Good Luck

laser temp reader at 7 min. manifold 320* valve cover 130*, held the upper, maybe my t-stat isnt working, gonna replace tomorrow. she doesnt even seem to ever gain pressure in the upper hose.

mine runs between the first and middle dashes always. not sure but i think i was told mine will run a bit cooler being a manual. i dunno if a renix runs cooler either but it seems to stay around 190* when normal driving and will ride around the middle dash when 4 wheeling or crawlin. ive been curious if mines normal or not

T-stat(185) is fine opening and closing, maybe i should put in a higher temp t-stat, my fans are on a switch(never on), the gauge does move but like i said not passed the first notch or just to it. but it isnt overheating, cause when my jeep really heats up she seems to want to die here and there.

When i punched the hole I overheated pretty good, temp gauge was "nearly" pegged maybe that messed up the reader\gauge. it was still working while i was burping the system though, but she feels like shes running alot cooler.

I know that this must disgust some xjers, When i got my jeep i had major over heating problems, when in the heat. but this is tripping me out.

Thermostats are built to lock OPEN when the engine is overheated.

Some are, most aren't.

Yeah I can tell you from experience that the opposite is mostly true. Most thermostats will actually stick CLOSED after a serious overheat. Don't ask me how I know. There are "failsafe" thermostats that will lock open, but they are not common.

Its rather simple to remove your t-stat and test it in a boiling pan of water. For a therma reading try taking the reading right next to where the sender is on the back of the head. This tends to be the hottest area.

It could also be your gauge that got messed up. My temp gauge cracked where the screws hold it to the cluster and its also where it get the electric signal from. I had an overheating issue for a while till one day my gauge started reading cold. Thats when i knew something bad happened and eventually had to tear the head off (unrelated)

Back