• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Entry remote range

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
The keyless entry range on all of my remotes (some with new batteries) is about 10 feet on a good day. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do you rectify it? 30' would be ideal, and I feel like that has been the case in the past.

Yeah, one of those silly situations when knowing the year of your XJ would REALLY help.

A**uming you have an early XJ with the IR remote, well, I have seen them so bad you had to be sitting in the driver's seat, with a brand new battery, before it would work.

I think I read a post that there is a guy that makes a better remote, so try searching and you might find something. Otherwise, go aftermarket for a non-IR system.

[ ] <--- IR range is about that far.

s6n2ux.jpg

Yeah, one of those silly situations when knowing the year of your XJ would REALLY help.

A**uming you have an early XJ with the IR remote, well, I have seen them so bad you had to be sitting in the driver's seat, with a brand new battery, before it would work.

I think I read a post that there is a guy that makes a better remote, so try searching and you might find something. Otherwise, go aftermarket for a non-IR system.

Doh! Be nice - I'm new here. :) I had the year in the title, but then I removed it. I actually have a '99 with the newer system.

Doh! Be nice - I'm new here. :) I had the year in the title, but then I removed it. I actually have a '99 with the newer system.

Ok, so you can ignore my IR post.

BTW, we are nice--well, most of us are!

Try popping the remote open and cleaning the contacts with an eraser, see if that helps any.

I don't look like that picture, all that much. Gray hair, glasses, field scarf (tie to the less worldly).

Yeah, you got me! :D

Even with factory RF remotes I haven't seen any that have any kind of decent range that aftermarket kits have. If you want the 30' range you're talking about then you're going to have to go aftermarket.

My 99's range for unlocking is only about 15 feet, more or less. It seems to depend on what's around it, as well as other conditions, and the locking range seems a bit longer. I've always wondered if that was on purpose, to prevent accidental unlocking.

15-20 feet is about what I get

Back