• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School Me About Drain Plugs

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I am at that stage ... deciding what to use to plug the drain holes in the XJ. Carpet is out, but not staying out. I have some OEM drain plugs, but I'm looking for something I can remove easily if the unthinkable should happen again. I will be using a closed cell foam padding (not bought yet) under the carpet, something that won't absorb water and will allow moisture to dissipate. I have a lot of questions because I want to do this "right".

- What is everyone using for drain plugs, and how do I decide what size to buy? I have holes that measure 1", but I bought some 1" plugs & they don't seem to fit.

- What is the best type to use for ease of removal?
- Are there plugs I can install with a type of "release" that comes up through the padding (or carpet) so I can get to it easily? Maybe be able to remove it without a tool?
- Are marine type plugs best? I looked at "bailing plugs" and I like the design, just not sure about the practicality for this purpose.

Any advice, tips, cautions? Pics would be great. Please ... don't tell me to forget the carpet & bedline the interior. That's not an option.
Will post pics in a few minutes of the 2 types of plugs I bought to try.
Thank in advance!

Hey thanx for the link. Gonna check it out now ...

Edit:
Well, I have looked, but we're back to square 1, because I'm not sure how some of those work, and their suitability for my purpose. I like the "T-H Marine plug", but it looks like plastic, and I don't necessarily want the ring sticking up. The "Deck and Baitwell Drain Plug, Flip Lock" looks promising, but if it's only 3/4inch, it's out.

I need to see what you guys have used and hear pros & cons. I guess it's late for this. I'll bump in the morning.

Last edited:
There are a lot of drain holes in the floorboard. For the 1" holes in the cargo area and under the back seat I used body plugs from ZJ a-pillar, and for the 1.5" holes under the front seats I used body plugs from the Durango a-pillar (?). Those are all rubber and they are easy to work, but eventually I would like to get some kind of marine plug. I ran a punch through the center so water could drip out.

Durango_Body_Plugs.sized.jpg

For the big holes in the front footwell, I found some universal garbage disposal plugs at True Value that fit perfectly. Long term I plan to use some pop-up "deck fill" plugs from a marine store.

Disposal_Floor_Plug.sized.jpg

So far I'm down about $10 maybe. Marine plugs are going to top $100 easily

For the big holes in the front footwell, I found some universal garbage disposal plugs at True Value that fit perfectly. Long term I plan to use some pop-up "deck fill" plugs from a marine store.

So far I'm down about $10 maybe. Marine plugs are going to top $100 easily
I like the small rubber plugs, but there's no ZJs around for me to pillage. They fit real tight?

About the disposal plug, I won't need one that big. My large drain holes are still intact & the area is rust free. Does anyone know where to get those "ZJ" ones - or something similar? These are what I bought at NAPA (large) & the marine place (small) - Pics below: Not too keen on the smaller one, so it's going back. The only holes I have opened up are the ones under the seats & in the passenger area. I haven't got to the cargo area yet.

The little "tail" I just put there to keep it from rolling around.

img0196lj.jpg

img0195rf.jpg

Should I dissassemble the large plug before putting it in the hole? I kinda like it, but I'm thinking a wing nut instead of a regular nut would be better.

Last edited:
I'm less concerned with it's intended purpose, and more in whether it would work for my purpose ... you know, pretty much like people use sewage pipes to make snorkels: not what they were made for, but they work fine.

Would this type of plug work for floor plugs?

Looks like it'd work great to me - I might install a piece of pipe or a flange of some sort in the hole before using it to give it a bit wider edge to hold onto, because the edge of the sheetmetal may cut into the rubber over time.

I also agree on the wing nut... get stainless steel ones! Home Depot does stock them somewhere or other.

Back