• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This is really weird

max419

NAXJA Forum User
ok this started with my wipers not working all the time on slow, never on inter, and always on high. Than i relised it had to do with the brake, (???right) so when i have my wipers on slow they work flawless, until i hit the brake, but its not from the brake light, because it works all the way til im pressing hard on the brake. stopped i can push on the brake harder and stop the wipers, or let off the brake a little and they'll start back up. but the whole time the brake light is on, so i know its not a loss of electric power. on high it doesnt do this at all.

I know its strange but its really happening just like that.
any help would be appreciated
oh and its 1988 Cherokee limited I6 auto 4dr

yeah i realised after i posted i wasnt in oem tech,

but yeah very odd problem, it makes no sense to me, and im decent with electrical, especially since they are completely 2 different circuits and mechanics.

ANYONE????????

and if a mod could move me to oem tech, thanks

You could try opening the wiper motor and lubing up the gears, maybe that would "solve" the problem. It may have to do with G's on the motor pushing gears around? That's the only logical thing I can think of...

If that segment of harness shares the same ground that may be it. I know when i was in reverse and hit the brakes my directional came on steady after I replace a broken ground all was good.

yeah but it all has to do with the amount of pressure on the pedal, lets say 10lbs of pressure pushed on the pedal and the wipers still work, but 15lbs of pressure will make it shut off instantly, stops where ever it is in its motion.

:roflmao:

Are they double-row and plasti-chrome plated?

On a more serious note, the ground issue might be worth looking into, that seems to me to be the most logical explanation as long as there is not a loose plug getting moved when you push the pedal.

i see what your saying about the ground but pushing the peda makes no difference in the electrical period, i did just go through all my grounds a year ago from problems with my taillights. so i also doubt i have a bad ground

The delay module is under the dash so the most probably explanation is that physical movement of the pedal is causing a problem in or around the module. Probably the easiest thing is just replace the module and see if the problem stops

i had the same issue. turned out it was the connector that sits under the steering column. sometimes turning the brights on would help, brake pedal...etc

i replaced the wiper circuit breaker (bottom of fusebox, $34.95 from dealer), then the relay module (black box under dash by column with velcro on it) before realizing i just needed to "jiggle" the harness. so i pulled it apart sprayed the heck out of it with electronics cleaner and put it back together. no more problems.

EDIT: i should add i have an '87 XJ so our wiring is definitely the same.

Back