• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap - No Start

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
Just did an engine swap for a junkyard engine in a 2000 XJ 4.0L and the engine doesn't want to start. I believe everything is hooked up okay. When we tried to crank it, it wouldn't start and eventually there was a big backfire out of intake manifold. I suspect fuel is flooding in there, sparks aren't occuring at the right time, and when the valve was opened the poorly timed spark created the backfire.

What you guys think? We switched over the cam position sensor, so maybe we installed it 180 degrees opposite of where it's supposed to be? (did a 0331 to 0630 swap, 00 to 99 engine so we had to make the switch). I also bunged around a lot with the steering linkage trying to get the transmission bolt there out, so maybe I hit the Crank position sensor? Any other ideas? Would NSS create this issue? Also, the belt tensioner broke so it's not 100% tension on belt, but should be good enough to start. Anyone think taht could be the issue?

I have a feeling it's one of these, but if anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

The distributor has ZERO to do with timing, so I would pull the CPS/CKP crank sensor and inspect it.

So, you have a 2000 with a 1999 engine in it?

LOL good one tigerShark!

Got it running. Did a little adjusting to the cam position sensor. Spun it 180 then did some twisting/turning with it (angled it more towards the block) and it fired right up.

Sounds way more like my engine (I drive a 99, my friends I did the swap for is a 2000) and should be more reliable than his previous (which I believe already had 1 engine swap (intake/exhaust bracket was brand new on one we pulled out)).

If anyone has a dead 0331 casting head (2000,2001) with bad oil pressure, I highly recommend doing this swap. 99 is the only one with the same block/more reliable head. You need a bracket to make the exhaust ports align which is $100, but the 2000/01 engines are $500 more on car-part.com cause there is less of a supply cause the heads all crack. You can get the adapter/bracket here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384&highlight=0331

Back