• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking sound from suspension

ariff390

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
So I am the proud owner of a new to me 01 XJ. I have had it for a few weeks now and I am trying to get all the kinks worked out of her. I have been trying to track down this clunking sound from the front pass. side of the truck. When going over bumps I hear it. It sounds like a lug nut or shock is loose, but they are not. I talked to the previous owner and he confirmed the problem and said he could never track it down. It was an issue for him for about 5 years and he clains it never got any worse. I also talked to a guy at the parts store that drives a XJ and he says he has the same noise and can't figure it out. I went through all the suspension and greased everything up including the sway bars no help. Everything seems tight. I am thinking maybe it is a bad shock or spring insulator. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to pin point the noise? Or what might be causing the noise? Any tests I can do to help locate the source of the noise?
Thanks,

LOL I think the shocks are the stock ones.. So about 10 years old :laugh:
Rebound on them seems to be good. Any idea if you can test shocks? Hell I should just pick up some new ones.

10 years on the stock shocks? Start there, doesn't sound like it has had much maintenace. Look at the U-joints, change all fluids, check the bushings in the springs and shackle.

The Jeep was taken pretty good care of. One owner and he did seem take pretty good care of it. All those thigs to check are all on my list. I have all the fluids and parts and hoping this weekend I'll get everything done. I did notice the rear leaf springs are starting to sag a bit as well. Any decent solution for this besides replacing the leafs? Also any suggestions for decent shocks?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how well it's taken care of a shock is a wear item that is utilized daily. Old Man Emu or Bilsteins are the best shocks. I've had BDS which were decent, Rubicon Express monotubes are decent. I'd spend the extra $ and get either the bilsteins or emu's.

To test the shocks you really have to completly remove them, then compress them. If they dont instantly come back out they are blown. But at 10 years old just assume they are blown:)

btw, it cost me under a hundred bucks for stock-equivalent shocks front & rear for each of my jeeps, bought at AAP. If you're lifted dig through the "budget lift" threads, JK shocks and some Ford pickup shocks etc will fit for varying amounts of lift, using that info you can get stock shocks and save money. Of course, the aftermarket ones will be better... but if it's not lifted/wheeled you probably don't really need much more than stock quality.

Yeah I don't want to drop a bunch on cash on really nice stock shocks. I am planning on lifting the jeep, but I want to wait untill it needs new tires. The current tires still have some good like left on them. Plus a lift is not in my budget right now. I may jsut go with the AAP Monroe shocks for now. And upgrade when the lift comes around.

My bet is a shock bushing, even easier to test - grab the shock and wiggle it sideways and up and down and see if it moves at all in the body

Most likely it's the sway bar bushings on the 'frame'. Mine looked OK, but pushing 145k, they were due. Nice and quiet now. Buy all the pieces and do it all at once. I got a kit from Quadratec. For stock replacement shocks, I've come to like Monroe SensaTracs. Firm, but not too harsh, some on here have gotten long life from them. Actually firmer than Bilsteins (the 'cheap' ones). Anyway, 10 years, and I'm gonna guess 100-150k miles, I would have bought them on the way home!

look at the track bar bracket. i had the same problem on my 01 and my fix was to get the re set up and weld it to the unibody plus i have stiffeners. but lol when it was stock that is where the noise was coming from on mine.

Back