• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Trouble

nmiller015

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 1997 Cherokee Sport/XJ, with a frustrating problem with the stock radio, the only thing it will do is display an incorrect time if the volume knob is depressed, it wont take tapes, cds, or even turn on, when the power button is pressed, nothing. I have checked both radio fuses both under the hood and the the passenger kick panel fuse box. All connections to the radio are solid, and it seems to be getting power. I thought I would give this a shot before I am forced to buy a used one on ebay.
Thanks for any help you can provide

Well, I would run a jumper wire from the battery or PDC under the hood and another jumper wire for a new ground and "jump" the radio to see if it will work.

My stock CD/cass unit went haywire after a few years. I wouldn't have spent a dollar to put a stock head unit back in it though. I just put a cheap Pioneer in it (finally embracing MP3 format and burning CDs), and I wish I'd done it sooner. I just don't miss cassette tapes, at all.

My stock CD/cass unit went haywire after a few years. I wouldn't have spent a dollar to put a stock head unit back in it though. I just put a cheap Pioneer in it (finally embracing MP3 format and burning CDs), and I wish I'd done it sooner. I just don't miss cassette tapes, at all.

You techie types always buying the new gadgets! My 4-track tape player still works great!

Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket cd player. Your ears will thank you! The sound quality is better. I would also suggest getting some new speakers too but that's just my .02

Back