• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

road trip-hot temps motor oil reccomendation

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
The jeep will have about 8000 miles put on it during the month of june.

Much of which will be spent in NM,AZ, So cal, Utah and colorado.

Planning an oil change around the halfway point and perhaps before depending on how it looks.

Jeep runs 35" tires with 5.38's in the axles.
Cruising at 65 mph puts me at about 2600-2700 rpm.

Would it be beneficial for me to switch over to synthetic or a thicker oil for this trip?

I usually run 10-30 Castrol gtx.

But im thinkin with the extended run times and hot temps might be beneficial switching to maybe a 10-40 or 15-40.

any insight here?

I would definitely switch to a synthetic, and my first choice would be a diesel motor oil.

10w30 should be find up to 104 degrees AMBIENT temperature--just how hot in June?

Viscosity: http://physics.info/viscosity/

I use rotella in my junk.
I have overheated my 4.0 to the point that the needle is no longer on the guage.

still haven't damaged it. amazingly tough really.

I would definitely switch to a synthetic, and my first choice would be a diesel motor oil.

10w30 should be find up to 104 degrees AMBIENT temperature--just how hot in June?

Viscosity: http://physics.info/viscosity/

That is long and complicated. I need a doctorate to interprit that. I think most/all the oil recommendations are for an engine that have little or no wear on it.

I have been using 15-50 in my XJ Amsoil in my XJ since 2004. I spend most of my time in the hot South. The only time I could/should have used a lighter oil was I was in Iowa December of 2007. It too the 4.0 about 10 miles in 30 ish degrees temperature to become fuel efficient.

I would never use an oil designed for a diesel engine in my XJ. They have a tendancy to foam at high RPM. However, many people use it and are happy with it.

That is long and complicated. I need a doctorate to interprit that. I think most/all the oil recommendations are for an engine that have little or no wear on it.

I have been using 15-50 in my XJ Amsoil in my XJ since 2004. I spend most of my time in the hot South. The only time I could/should have used a lighter oil was I was in Iowa December of 2007. It too the 4.0 about 10 miles in 30 ish degrees temperature to become fuel efficient.

I would never use an oil designed for a diesel engine in my XJ. They have a tendancy to foam at high RPM. However, many people use it and are happy with it.

Just how high do you rev your 4.0? :confused1

food for thought...

i'll be with sam (the OP) on this trip w my jeep, running 15w-40 rotella diesel. best oil i've ever run, and it burns off no more than 2qts per change instead of 3-4 (bad rings on 2 cylinders).

food for thought...

i'll be with sam (the OP) on this trip w my jeep, running 15w-40 rotella diesel. best oil i've ever run, and it burns off no more than 2qts per change instead of 3-4 (bad rings on 2 cylinders).

i have a cherry picker and spare 4.0 that doesnt burn oil.

jus sayin...

thanks for the insight guys.

i will at least switch over to 10-40 for this trip and probably stay there as everyone who runs it has no issues.

some synthetic oil of sorts too. probably change it around the 4000 mile mark.

i have had a motor blow for reasons unknown before and lucky me a fuel line blew at the same time and caught the jeep on fire. tryin to avoid that this time around lol.

I switched to Castrol Full Synthetic 10w30 at 195K. It's regularly 95-110 here from May to September. Don't know nuthin' 'bout diesel.

Expensive, but only change it once in June, once in December. No significant leaks (drip drops, here and there, occasionally).

Just how high do you rev your 4.0? :confused1

On my XJ,.. it hardly get past 3,000 RPM and then it usually to overtake another vehicle then back down to 2200 to 2500 RPM +/- . I understand from Rotella the oil could foam above 4000 RPM.

For me, foaming should not be a problem since 2500 RPM get the XJ moving at 70 MPH. I usually set my cruise at about 65 MPH, sit back and enjoy the scenerary. Somehow, I prefer to avoid it.

The Amsoil I change at 20,000 miles. The oil pressure holds steady after using the Amsoil for over 140,000 miles reading 40 psi at idle and 65 psi at highway speed after running 4+ hours non-stop. Yea, 20,000 miles sounds a bit high for an oil change but I have had no oil related problems since I have the XJ at 135,000 miles. I do change the oil filter every 6,000 miles and top up with oil.

If a large % of your 8000 mile trip is highway go with Castrol Full Synthetic 10w30 and a bottle of Torco MPZ or Torco 5w30 racing oil and you will be fine for 8000 miles without an oil change.

On my XJ,.. it hardly get past 3,000 RPM and then it usually to overtake another vehicle then back down to 2200 to 2500 RPM +/- . I understand from Rotella the oil could foam above 4000 RPM.

For me, foaming should not be a problem since 2500 RPM get the XJ moving at 70 MPH. I usually set my cruise at about 65 MPH, sit back and enjoy the scenerary. Somehow, I prefer to avoid it.

I've never had a problem, and my XJ sees redline a few times a month. Modern diesel oils contain a lot of anti-foam additives. Only evidence to rotella foaming up i've found is from Amsoil's site and tests.

I've run almost every type of oil in my Jeep (even other 15w-40 weights) and it runs the best on Shell. I've gone through a few different synthetic oils in my Subaru (RP, M1, you name the big $ oil I've tried it) and the shell rotella full syn 5-40 works best.

I'm a big fan of their stuff.

My 4.0 saw over 6 grand in tellico. Oil pressure was not a problem. Valve float on the other hand....

I prefer the rotella because it still has zinc in it. RUmor as it that it's mo betta for the cam in our motors.
Regardless, it works, it stands up to abuse, it has higher pressure additives so when I'm lugging thie snot out of it I don't worry about scoring bearings.

93XJLI, I'll trade you engine for engine... mine leaks as much as yours burns. You'll never have to worry about rust again and you can simply stop and hide in your own personal smoke screen whenever the cops start looking for you.

I run Mobil 1 10w30 all year around. It can get over 100*F here in the summer, and -20*F in the winter and I've never had any kind of problem.

I made the trip to the 25 Anniversary event ,from Va and back,over 4500 miles total. I use Rotella T 15w-40 and have for years,280,000 miles on the motor when the trip was made,did not even have to top up the oil level.

Most of the trip was run in the 2200> 2500 rpm range using the cruise. Except going over the Rockies--that sucked-- drive or less and 3-4 grand just to pull the mountain.
I believe you will be fine using the standard Rotella T.

YMMV

Wayne

My 4.0 saw over 6 grand in tellico. Oil pressure was not a problem. Valve float on the other hand....

I prefer the rotella because it still has zinc in it. RUmor as it that it's mo betta for the cam in our motors.
Regardless, it works, it stands up to abuse, it has higher pressure additives so when I'm lugging thie snot out of it I don't worry about scoring bearings.

RENIX FTW

(no rev limiter)

hmm

i prefer rev limiter

sounds cooler when i bounce off it

so far im likin the sound of the 15-40 rotella

Back