• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump and Tank question

1dirtyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ and I have a fuel tank that is leaking
someone is wanting to sell me a tank and a pump but it is out of a 1998
Can I make this work?

Yes--almost.

It will be a plastic tank instead of the steel, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump assembly, the entry point for the pump assembly will not be accessible in the future without dropping the tank out, however others have made this work.

The main downside as I see it is your fuel gauge will no longer work as the resistance values are reversed. You can, however, purchase a Chryco reverse ohm gauge from Autometer.

It's gonna be pretty screwy.

I have a 97-up tank in my 96. It was easier for me to get it running due to the fact that 96 uses the new fuel pressure regulator setup, 95 down have the regulator on the line and return excess fuel to the tank from there. The rubber lines from the fill spout and vent tube will be slightly too small, you'll need to bevel the edge of the nipples on the tank and then put the ends of the hoses in boiling water before pushing them onto the tank. Also the gauge will be screwy like Joe said. That's about it though.

What exactly is leaking? If it's around the pump itself, you probably can fix it for ten bucks without removing the tank from the vehicle, you just need a gasket and locking ring. If not, pick the tank up brand new from rockauto for like 150 bucks and you're ready to go. Paint it with some sort of heavy paint first though, the one flaw of the old metal tanks is that they love to rust.

Also, if it seems to be leaking from up top there are a couple of grommets for the roll-over valve and they dry out/crack and will leak pretty good when full or corning hard.

J536 0059 2 SEAL

That is the number of the grommet for the vent valves on top of the tank, there are two of them.

btw, if it's not the seal, por15 has a great gas tank sealing kit, if it comes to that.

I'm planning on dropping the tank this weekend to see whats up

Might pick those grommets up from the dealer (I think they might be dealer only), maybe return them if you don't need them. Shame to have it torn down on the weekend and not be able to source the parts.

Start spraying the strap bolts NOW with PB blaster or equivilent. Once they are good and PB's they come off pretty easy. Actually, get all the rust loosened up with the pb and use a wire brush to remove big stuff then wipe em down with a rag. Then apply a liitle anti sieze on the bolts so the nuts come off nice. After you put it back together put more anti sieze on them so if you ever need to take them off again its easier.

Back