• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ETHANOL BLEND FUEL?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a tank of 94 octane 10% ethanaol enriched fuel on the weekend for use in ,my toy. (05 ktm450 bike) and noticed huge differences in performance compared to the normal 92 octane regular gas I'm used to. I found out that evening that ethanol is not recommended by ktm for use, runs leaner hotter) . I'm wondering if its not recommended in my bike why is it ok for my jeep? I havent tried any yet but am interested to find out.

You want a few laughs read what the owner's manual for your 89 has to say about using ethanol fuels!

Its amazing how something that is bad can suddenly become good when there is a profit or political clout to be had by making it a "good".

Not sure if you living the the great Northern wilderness have the same octane ratings as us poor colonists in the South. Our regular is 87 octane, mid-range of 89, and premium of 92 octane, and here in Oregon they are all 10 percent ethanol; however, as of January 1st of 2010 you can buy non-ethanol premium at certain select stations--for a price.

One difference is that your KTM has a carb and can't automatically adjust the fuel mix based on feedback from an O2 sensor. That said, almost all fuel out there is cut with 10% ethanol nowadays.

well tried it, and I'm pleased. Beast starts better and quicker, crisp throttle response and pulls a little harder.

well tried it, and I'm pleased. Beast starts better and quicker, crisp throttle response and pulls a little harder.

By default, most factory carb setups are tuned towards a richer mixture. It's better to run rich than risk melting down pistons by running too lean. So the slight shift towards lean from the ethanol blend probably put you closer to a best power mix. I've also heard the factories favor a richer mixture to offset guys putting in less restrictive K&N air filters and freer flowing exhausts which also to lean out the mixture a little.

Back