• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM Top Engine Cleaner

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
I've heard several people say how good this stuff is, so I picked up a can. I've also heard how it causes the Jeep to smoke like a mother. So, I found a nice deserted corner of a corporate park and got started. There was almost no smoke, but it did sink real bad. What could the lack of smoke mean? Not much deposits in the cylinders or on the valves?

--Matt

Not sure, I was told the same thing about 'sea foam' which is another cleaner. Used it on my sons caddy and it smoked, used it on the XJ and it did'nt so the lack of carbon build up sounds logical.

NAPA carries it.

I used 1 can of the GM top end cleaner on an old Grand Marquis and while it didn't help my problem it must work because when I removed the plugs they were spotless. The number 8 plug on that car would foul and load up completely in a week. After I used the top end cleaner, it too was spotless. When I used it I had smoke........lots of it and it stinks. They use some sort of salts in the product if I recall correctly. Cost was around $8.00 for a 16 ounce can.

Jay in MA

Mine smoked like crazy (GM top engine cleaner). Most of the smoke occurred when I restarted after letting it work in. I got mine at a local GMC dealer for something around 8 bucks.

It reduced the engine knock significantly.

One note: The Chrysler injection system adjusts its idle very quickly, and it's almost impossible to stall it out per instructions if it's healthy. Leave plenty in the can for this last operation. I ended up just pouring it in and shutting it down because it wouldn't stall.

Back