• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan removal: Stuck starter? (2.5L)

Aspen d'Grey

NAXJA Forum User
1993 Xj
2.5L l4
AX-5 Manual w/ 4WD

So I went to fix my oil leak today ( 2 quarts /150 miles with oil splattered all over the front of the enginge & going under the car to the back hatch) and started by repla cing the harmonic balancer seal. This helped a TON and about lhalved it. Closer inspeciton revealed some serious leakage from the pan gasket, and conferring with my brother we realizing that it didnt even appear to BE a real gasket for the XJ. I took the front four bolts out, and tugged on it, sure enough ,it was cracked and barely sealing, causing most of my leak.

So I go, "huh, ok, well that cant be so hard!" ha. ha. -.-

I'm stuck on the starter- I got the special star-sockets to get it out, but it seems to be binging up on something in the bell housing? I can wiggle it around about a half an inch in and out and rotate it a bit but it will NOT come out, and I cant get to the two 11mm bolts under it unless it down.

My second problem is getting to the two main-seal bolts... I got one sideo ut ok, but I cant seem to get the freaking socket over the one next to the exhaust pipe on the passengers side by the bell housing.

Is there something I'm missing to get more room? Do I have to take the dust cover off? I dont even see how to do that! I've read that you only need to take the starter out, but that's on the 4.0 and I'm not sure how much it applies.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated- I searched and searched but couldnt get it to give me anyting with 'oil pan' or '2.5l' in the search because the terms are too short.

Sorry, no real experience with that little motor. Good luck to ya, and good to see found the place. Pretty sure you are on ExpoPortal too, right?

Yup, I'm on ExPo most of the time as that fits what i'm doing with it better.

As for checking the rear main - it's a one peice and they can't check it without pulling the tranny. I said screw it (I only paid $300 for the jeep) because I was pretty sure it ISNT leaking and I don't need the extra labor. They did confirm that the starter was hung up pretty good on the oil pan. They're also replacing the tranny mount - some idiot had slammed something with the crossmember and never fixed it. another $40, but at least no more labor.

Huh. I have one of these drivetrains sitting in my driveway... those external torx are a real nice touch aren't they? Fortunately I already had the full set. My bet is that the cog on the starter is hanging up on the inspection plate / bellhousing blockoff plate / whatever you want to call that sheet of aluminum sandwiched between the tranny and the engine.

Huh. I have one of these drivetrains sitting in my driveway... those external torx are a real nice touch aren't they? Fortunately I already had the full set. My bet is that the cog on the starter is hanging up on the inspection plate / bellhousing blockoff plate / whatever you want to call that sheet of aluminum sandwiched between the tranny and the engine.

You still haven't got that compressor/generator hybrid going? I want pictures when its up.

Yeah... sorry, been busy. I've got the whole frame welded up and the engine mounted, but I still need to weld on legs, wheel brackets, the radiator/battery/gas tank brackets, and wire/plumb the whole thing... plus the actual air tank plumbing. I have some pictures taken of the current progress but nothing that deserves its own thread yet.

Update:

I took it into the shop, and yes, they DID say it was a bitch to get off. They also found the tranny mount was blown so they replaced it for me at no extra labor.

Final cost $330 in labor & the tranny mount (+ the tow). Ouch.

I've had a few drops of oil come off the tranny crossmember, but barely anything compared to before and I'm going to ignore it for now! Its a one-peice rear main so they couldn't check that while there were in there, and I wasnt willing to spend the extra $150 to have it checked.

That starter should come right out. I replaced mine a couple of times when i have the 2.5L. You really need a set of gear wrenches for the wires. They need to come off first.

I remember the starter on my 95 YJ 2.5l being a b!tch to get out. You had to turn and twist it just right to get it out, and then it was even harder to wiggle back into position. I think I pulled it about 6 times over its life to flush the mud out of it and clean up the solenoid.

Back