• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't find the problem.....

xjeeping562

NAXJA Forum User
On my jeep......I was at 3 1/2 inches so i decided to put in 2 inch coil spacers ,I put on RE LCA,RE adjustable track bar,RE track bar bracket....And ever since i instaled all that i hear and feel this knocking noise when i drive it,I can feel it knocking by my feet but can't find out what it is.....Has anybody had this problem before?.....(I ONLY LIFTED THE FRON BECAUSE THE BACK WAS A LITTLE HIGHER THEN 3 1/2 ALREADY SO IS KINDA EVEN NOW)......THANKS

I'd put my money on your sway bar coming in contact with your springs during suspension cycle - get some longer links. To test this idea, disconnect your sway bar links from the axle and secure them up out of the way with a strap or something. Them go for a test drive and see if it still happens.
*note this alters your handling, drive accordingly

Also, if it happens only during turning your steering linkage may be making contact with the axle-side sway bar link mounts. Answer to that could be as simple as a drop pitman arm.

another way to find what's hitting what is to run through some deep puddles or a dirt road and get everything coated pretty well with dust or mud, then drive it till you hear the noise a few times and look for the clean spots on the suspension.

I use this method all the time though I can just look for the shiny spots since everything is coated in rust :gee:

I'd move one to checking the condition of your control arm bushings then. Particularly the driver frame side bushing - it is in the area you describe the noise coming from. Also, check out the rubber bushings on your upper shock mounts - those can be awfully noisy when they blow out and let the shock bang up and down. You shouldn't be able to get any play in the upper shock mount if you shake it side-side and up-down. Hopefully this helps.

see the problem is that i have the RE super flex control arms so i dont know if the bushing goes on the body or my dana 30.....ill try to see if my shocks move around.....thanks

Back