• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I relocate ECU for deep water?

jaydee1445

NAXJA Forum User
Is water intrusion of fender mounted ECU an issue or would relocation be a waste of time???

Tried to search but found no info so here is my situation. I'm swapping 95 4.0 HO Engine and Complete harness into a 88 XJ and was thinking it would be easy to relocate the ECU inside to the stock Renix Location.

The fender location of the 95 ECU worries me as my XJs spend too much time in deep swamp water. All previous rigs were Renix so I have no experience submerging later ECU.

Just thinking here, but seems to me the Renix ECU is located lower under the dash than the PCM of the HO units under the hood.

How were you protecting the Renix ECU of your 88?

The Renix is a sealed unit above the steering column . As long as I kept forward motion the water rarely got that high inside. Now I have stuck it and got water over the dash a few times. :shocked:
The Chrysler ECU is right up front next to the air box and has big air vents.
I figure the PCB is sealed in epoxy, can't remember since I quit wrenching for a paycheck 7 yrs ago.

You can tell Joe was in the Marines. If he were in the Navy, on a submarine, he could offer you better advice.

They wouldn't let me on a submarine--my farts are too manly and I like to sleep with the window open! LOL! :patriot:

The HO ecu's are completely potted in epoxy, I would however recommend to take off the main connector to the ecu and put some di-electric grease in there to seal the connections good. Other than that if you get water that high you're going to hydro the motor and damage MANY other sensors and connections first.

X2 on what dave92 said. The OBD-II ECUs are completely sealed with RTV, I am not sure if the OBD-I ones are but I would expect it since they mount in the same location. You will hydrolock, get water into your oil and trans fluid, and wreck your TPS and other sensors far before you'll have problems with the ECU. Buy a big tube of dielectric grease and a can of contact cleaner; re-pot your bulkhead connector and any other connectors and sensors you can get at.

X2 on what dave92 said. The OBD-II ECUs are completely sealed with RTV, I am not sure if the OBD-I ones are but I would expect it since they mount in the same location. You will hydrolock, get water into your oil and trans fluid, and wreck your TPS and other sensors far before you'll have problems with the ECU. Buy a big tube of dielectric grease and a can of contact cleaner; re-pot your bulkhead connector and any other connectors and sensors you can get at.
Yep plan on cleaning and greasing all the connectors as I install the 95 harness.
I have gotten pretty good at keeping water out after wheeling 4 XJs in the Florida swamps.
jeep_yj.gif

Back