• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad control arm symptoms

Get down there and check the bushings. If you've got poly/rubber ones closely inspect them at each end and both sides. Carefully Look for cracks, tears, and/or buldges. If you see any evidence of this the you've most likely got a bad UCA or LCA bushing and need a replacement.

If you have Rubicon Express LCA's/UCA's with the Johnny Joint ends then you'll have to remove it to inspect real good. Put a bolt in the hole and check the JJ for tightness and smooth range of motion.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it. :sunshine:

why don't you tell us what symtoms the jeep is exhibiting.

If they are stock, "control arms" don't go bad. the bushings may be going bad. If that's the case, you will start to develop death wobble. if you don't know what death wobble is, search, you might learn something.

If you having problems with it tracking correctly and wandering while going down the road and braking it could be the CA's. To be sure get an steering alignment done. They will inspect it and maybe just doing the alignment will fix any problems you may be experiencing.

I meant to say bushings.
Well the symptoms I have are:
Death wobble at just over 55mph
Putting truck in reverse or drive the truck lunges a bit.
when coming to a stop the truck will stop then lunge a bit after stop due to momentum.
Taking off from stop I feel a reverse affect of what happens when I stop.
I know these issues are coming from the front.
I just not sure if it is upper or lower or both sets of control are bushings

CHEEPJEEP said:
I just not sure if it is upper or lower or both sets of control are bushings

Remove each CA and inspect. If the bushings are cracked, buldging on either side, or loose in the arm, they need replaced. Check the arms for cracks, or damage. Also look at UCA bushings on the axle side. Same diag for those too.

sounds like some new shocks are in order soon also...also if you are getting a "pop" like you mentioned earlier, check the track bar and frame-rail mount.

Back