• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning rust

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I picked up some D30 shafts for free from a friend, only problem is they're very rust. What's the best way to clean them off? should I paint them after or just make sure they're oiled good.

Wire wheel in an angle grinder. If you want them cleaner, use the finest grit flap wheel you can find.

You can paint them but make sure the seal surfaces, splines, and ABS rings (if present) are left untouched.

Didn't actually consider the ABS rings, the shafts I got were from a non-ABS equipped heep. Mine still has it (in the front anyways). Is this going to be a problem if I ever need to swap them on the trail?

Non-disconnect D30 ABS and non-ABS axle shafts interchange. If you have functional ABS and you want to keep it, you need ABS shafts. You can temporarily or permanently disable 1997-2001 ABS by pulling the ABS relays. The brakes will function normally.

Tim - 92-96 are also safe to disable via that method.

I'm pretty sure if you put non ABS shafts in an ABS rig, you'll get an ABS warning light and ABS will shut off.

okay, I've definitely had the ABD relay pulled for about 6 months now because the light was pissing me off.

i would just hit it with a hand held wire brush and oil the heck out of them afterwards.

Back