• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acid/Metal Etching Solutions

millhousenator

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for a cheaper alternative to POR15's metal etch. I have heard you can buy such products at hardware stores, but quick searches online dont give me any results. What is a good brand that I can buy locally at the hardware store?

After checking the msds for metal ready, it seems that most of it is phosphoric acid. the stuff that makes up naval jelly and what they put in cola.

Its also has zinc phosphate which is the "residue" which i guess is like parkerization.

As far as options, naval jelly, but it seems that por-15 is kind of a one of a kind recipe

Hopes this helps

Check out a company called Top Secret Coatings. Their stuff is as good or better than POR-15 and is UV protected.

I already have chassis saver on order from magnet paints. This TSC Rust converter Cleaner looks promising to prep for the chassis saver and bedliner though.

Back