• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rummage Sale Find

cgriff54

NAXJA Forum User
Take a look at what I picked up at the local rummage sale for $25.00
IMG_2848a.jpg

IMG_2843a.jpg

IMG_2847a.jpg

So here is the rub, as you can see from the picture above the tabs need to be rotated 90 degrees. I took a few measurements and it is 37" internal dimension from post to post on the brush bar. The Uni-body is 32 3/4" from external dimension to. I was considering making some type of L bracket to mount this to the same location as the tow hooks. My questions are what type of material should I use and do you see any problems with my idea. I have never really fabed anything up before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No offense but keep the Hellas and sell the brush guard( looks like it came off something alot wider than a Cherokee).

Find one built for an XJ

I would cut the center out to make it the width you need. Then find some tubing that fits inside to act as a sleeve. If you don't have a welder take it somewhere and have them weld it. You'd still be money ahead after doing that. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Honestly, I don't have the money to buy a new one and its maybe 6" overhang on either side and that doesn’t bother me at all. I kind of like having a little extra room. Does anyone have any thoughts on creating a mounting bracket?

That looks like the one I got for free. Exactly like it. I found out that it fits an old body style durango.

Did you mount this on your XJ? If so how, and is there anything that you would change?

I went out and measured the gap and its about 5 1/4" on each side, just enough room to get my big paw of a hand in there for washing and waxing.

Last edited:
No, I can't even give the damn thing away. It will not mount easily to an XJ and it is too much of a pain to cut down to fit. You would be better off trying to sell it for a quick buck, cause you are gonna work hard to get it mounted.

It is also way too tall in case you missed that as well. Kinda sad since it is about a $400 guard. Mine was a display at work and I took it home brand new. If the person you got it from worked for Advance it would not surprise me that it came from there. It used to be a store display. Mine even had 2 Hella 500's on it too.

In an attempt to steer this thread back on topic, can anyone offer some advice on my choice of materials? There is less than a 3" gap between the two mounting surfaces. I was thinking about using a plate steel angle to make the mount, but then thought about some box tubing and a flat plate. Any suggestions other than to sell it?

I would go with what Jwebb said and cut it right down the middle to get it to the width you need then weld it back together. There's plenty of vendors here that sell just bumper brackets that could be welded onto that bumper to make it fit.

its going to take more then cutting down the middle to get it to fit. the brackets are not going to line up. when you line the mounting brackets up, the light guards are going to be above the hood.

what i would do it cut it in half (to get out the excess width) then cut the bottom bar and its sides off. use the rest of the sides and mold them to your bumper. then get some plate and build a mount from the frame to the sides of it. reuse the bar and move it up to support the mounts

it can be done, and it can look good if done right, but its alot of work

staying on topic, really just try to sell the thing first, you may get $50 or more if someone actually has the vehicle it's meant for. take that money, and save it up for a proper bumper.

to mount it your not just going to have to cut the middle to make it narrower, you're also going to have to cut the vertical brackets to lower it down to actually cover up the lights and grill. making brackets to "make it fit" will either hang down ridiculously low, or leave it sitting ridiculously high.

for the time, money and effort wasted on making it work... you got a pair of Hella's for $25, and could possibly sell the grill gaurd for $25 or more, gravy.

I wish I had the picture of this Blazer around town with the enormous wide (think Tahoe/Suburban width) gaurd on it, I think it would change your mind quickly, for someone who cleans and waxes their rig I would guess you are concerned with looks somewhat...

I would not not bother... I honestly can't stand the look of those brush guards but that's just me. Doesn't look like it's a solid enough bumper to bother putting on even with no fab work required, and that'll take quite a bit...

The 25 bucks was a darn good price for just the lights, I agree with the rest, try and sell the brush guard for ~50 and you effectively are getting paid 25 bucks to take a nice set of lights.

I would not not bother... I honestly can't stand the look of those brush guards but that's just me. Doesn't look like it's a solid enough bumper to bother putting on even with no fab work required, and that'll take quite a bit...

The 25 bucks was a darn good price for just the lights, I agree with the rest, try and sell the brush guard for ~50 and you effectively are getting paid 25 bucks to take a nice set of lights.

No disrespect intended, but I never once said that I was tiring to decide on modding it or selling it. I have no intentions on selling it I want to put it on my truck. I happen to like the look and the protection it offers on the old logging roads at camp.

That being said I would appreciate some help in trying to figure out the best way to mount it. I like and want the extra room on the sides, so I just need to figure out what is the best way to accomplish this.

I don't know about the rest of it but you need to tie into the unibody in as many places as you can. I'd start by getting some long bumper mounting brackets like these
http://ironscorpion.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=0&products_id=2 You get the advantage of being able to add some recovery points with the long brackets too.

Tie it in over the top of the bumper as well as the bottom and make sure you stand it off far enough that when it flexes back it doesn't hit.

There is going to be a lot of leverage against it. Even leaving it stock like you want there is a considerable amount of work to make it strong enough to be more than decorative.

I don't know about the rest of it but you need to tie into the unibody in as many places as you can. I'd start by getting some long bumper mounting brackets like these
http://ironscorpion.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=0&products_id=2 You get the advantage of being able to add some recovery points with the long brackets too.

Tie it in over the top of the bumper as well as the bottom and make sure you stand it off far enough that when it flexes back it doesn't hit.

There is going to be a lot of leverage against it. Even leaving it stock like you want there is a considerable amount of work to make it strong enough to be more than decorative.

Good advice and link.

Back