• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap a 4.0L HO into a 1990 xj?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a line on a complete 1993 xj powertrain (and dash)
Wondering if it can be swapped into my 1990 XJ (renix).

I think I can just swap the entire motor, harness, pcm, transmission (ax15), tcase (np231 sye), and instrument panel, into my 1990 XJ.
Whats everyone think? Piece of cake of several weeks of electronics hell?

I've had a couple people say its a bad idea, but no explanations have been presented. I think the big problem is that most people are looking to keep their RENIX pcm. Is there any good reason to do this?
Need some info asap as the 93 will probably be gone this weekend.

(p.s. my 90's motor needs a rebuild something fierce, and its cheaper for me to pick up the complete 93, than rebuild my 90).

Mine is 1987 and I have in there a 1994 entire powertrain /drivetrain system. You need to swapp the gauge cluster and all wiring harness for the engine only. Get rid of the selenoids/diodes, etc crapp stuff next to the Renix coil and be happy!

It will take some time though.

Of corse swapp the flywheel later (1991 + up) and all their sensors. Upgrade the rad if you didn't this before.

Mine is 1987 and I have in there a 1994 entire powertrain /drivetrain system. You need to swapp the gauge cluster and all wiring harness for the engine only. Get rid of the selenoids/diodes, etc crapp stuff next to the Renix coil and be happy!

It will take some time though.

Of corse swapp the flywheel later (1991 + up) and all their sensors. Upgrade the rad if you didn't this before.

How long did it take you to do the swap? I'm not worried about time invested. Mostly just worried about the annoyance factor of not having a vehicle for several weeks.

Also, did you swap the radiator as well?
Any annoying problems requiring fabrication/welding?

You souldn't fab anything for this swapp from what I can remember, just strip the entire ENGINE wiring harness and swapp the entire thing and that shoudl do it. It depends on some factors to determinate the time tahat take this task. Maybe with luck and working hard 1.5 weeks-3 weeks, not sure if you would eb the only one for wiring it and how much skilled you are and such.

Get a wiring diagram for the 1993 -94 or whatever year you are taking the powertrain with you, in case something doesn't sound good to you.

You souldn't fab anything for this swapp from what I can remember, just strip the entire ENGINE wiring harness and swapp the entire thing and that shoudl do it. It depends on some factors to determinate the time tahat take this task. Maybe with luck and working hard 1.5 weeks-3 weeks, not sure if you would eb the only one for wiring it and how much skilled you are and such.

Get a wiring diagram for the 1993 -94 or whatever year you are taking the powertrain with you, in case something doesn't sound good to you.

What kinda re-wiring are we talking here? I figured keeping the harness from the 93 would eliminate most of the wiring? Shouldn't I just be left with any wiring to the fuse box under the dash, and the instrument panel (which should be on the 93 harness)?

Back