• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock cylinders + epoxy = ?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, for reasons I'd rather not discuss, my passenger side lock cylinder is epoxied in place. I'm going to have to cut some sheet metal to remove it.
I'm thinking of using a 2" hole saw. Will the centering bit make it through the lock cylinder or am I asking for a broken drill bit?
If not the hole saw, a dremel tool to cut the sheet metal around the epoxy?
My plan for afterwards involves a small patch of sheet metal, some more epoxy / gorilla glue or whatever and bondo on the outside to smooth it over. I basically want to erase the lock cylinder on that side.
Any clever ideas?

Please explain what you mean by epoxied in place? pics would be helpful! remove the lock cylinder from the back side inside of the door, they usually have a slide clip that attachs them. Once you get the clip off, punch the cylinder out the door the way it is supposed to go..

The cylinder is secured to the door's sheet metal by epoxy - in such quantity as to render the lock itself inoperable. Thus, the hole saw (unless the lock cylinder is hardened steel)

Yeah, guess I'll have to buy a dremel sooner or later... Thanks!

uhhhh, not gonna ask :gee:

You can try two things - dremel with a grinding stone bit in it, try and chew away the epoxy on the inside. This should be possible and will result in you being able to properly put a lock on it. You can also try burning it out... a small butane torch may burn the epoxy out fairly well, just stay upwind of it and expect to be repainting the door afterwards. Make sure you clean all the grease and gunk out and remove any plastic trim from the area first.

Might try just giving it a couple of whacks with a chisel/hammer around the edges. If area wasn't super clean it may not be stuck good, and brittle helps to remove.
(Real shallow angle to the sheetmetal.)

heat will soften epoxy right up.
I wouldn't go torch, but even a high powered hair dryer will soften epoxy to the point that you can slice it with a razor.

How about just grind the lock cylinder away with a angle grinder or some type of grinding tool ? It'll eventually fall back though the door skin, and could heat up your expoy to help remove it. Also hit the sheet metal with the grinder for bondo. From how things sound.. ya can do the good ol carboard and bondo trick to delete the lock cylinder hole.

^^^ he's got a point, even at the JY you can pick up a door for 50 bucks.

depending on what type of epoxy it is, I would try dissolving it with paint thinner, varsol, or brake parts cleaner. I have found that each of these solvents dissolves different types of cured epoxies quite well... some better than others of course. No reason to cut up the sheet metal if you don't have to..... and you really don't.

Sooo now that you've had plenty of answers.

Why? you know the clips would be like 5 cents at a jy they would probably give it to you.

Sooo now that you've had plenty of answers.

Why? you know the clips would be like 5 cents at a jy they would probably give it to you.

That would have been good information a couple years ago. Now I'm figuring out how best to pay for my former ignorance.

For you guys asking why... apparently you can unlock an XJ by putting a screwdriver or something in the keyhole and turning the entire lock cylinder instead of the actual 'key' itself. Securing the cylinder to the door prevents this. You can also just disconnect the arm from the cylinder inside the door and not have to worry about screwing up your Jeep...

I cut it out with two cutting discs on my shiny new dremel. Used RTV gasket maker to throw up a small sheet metal patch from the inside.
Next question: what do I do to prime for Bondo? Can I throw it over any old surface or do I need to put primer down first or what? The patch is aluminum if that makes any difference.

just rough up the area with some sandpaper. you don' need to sand it to bare metal, just rough it up and clean it with mineral spirits or alcohol. no need to prime it first either.

For you guys asking why... apparently you can unlock an XJ by putting a screwdriver or something in the keyhole and turning the entire lock cylinder instead of the actual 'key' itself. Securing the cylinder to the door prevents this. You can also just disconnect the arm from the cylinder inside the door and not have to worry about screwing up your Jeep...

Have you tried this?
one of the many cherokee's I had was previously stolen. They must not of gotten the memo because their doorlock damaged looked like it involved a hammer a chisel and a hand grenade.

Back