• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found oil in a weird place

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced my IAC the other day and in the process of removing the throttle body to take of the old IAC I removed the CCV vacuum line at the intake manifold to have more room to work and I found a good bit of oil around the end of that line. Should I be concerned about this? I am aware of blow by on the older Renix motors since my old 87 MJ had a problem with that. But is this blow by on a 97? The Jeep is a 97 XJ 4.0L auto 4x4 with about 183,xxx miles on it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

The CCV system most likely needs to be serviced.

There are valves (for lack of a better term) in the top of the valve cover that let the vapors out and through the tube back into the manifold.

You can take them out and clean them up. They're usually gunked up.

There are valves (for lack of a better term) in the top of the valve cover that let the vapors out and through the tube back into the manifold.

You can take them out and clean them up. They're usually gunked up.

Yep, "metered orifice" I think is the techno term. The fresh air intake on the front of the valve cover needs to be open, the metered orifice in the rear valve cover should be cleaned, make sure the orifice in the intake manifold for the vacuum supply is clear, and you can blow through the vacuum line to make sure it is clear. Use drill bits/stiff solid wire to clean the orifices.

Back