• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear passenger door lock

kymtnman

NAXJA Forum User
leaned back to unlock the rear pass.door for my son today on my 97 sport w/manual locks and windows. the the lock button would not fully unlock, rolled down the window while standing bside the door & tried several times to get it to unlock with no success, anyone had this? any ideas on how to get the d$@* door open short of a sawsall?

Been there, done that!

The lock mechanisms are designed in a sorta silly way and if you don't keep them well lubricated and waterproofed they corrode and jam.

It may be slightly different on a rear door, but here's a pic of the lock mechanism and what you need to poke to make a front door open, plus my post describing the process:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003779#5

Depending on how hard it is to get off without opening the door, you may have to break the plastic trim on the inside of the door to get at the mechanism. Start looking for a new panel in your color at the junkyard now just in case, it should not run you more than $30 or so. The latch mechanism will run about $120 from the dealer, I'll see if the one I got for my '96 fits a '97 as well since I got it brand new for $35 or so online.

EDIT: damn... they updated the latches for the new body style. Part number you're looking for is 5523 5204AB. Looks like $40 plus shipping and handling from mopardiscountparts.com.

Last edited:
Back